Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys sorry im unable to search at the moment im posting this form my iphone on the side of the road waiting for a tow truck.

We had the tranny rebuilt about 3k ago and its now out of warranty go figure. last week i got a P1744 code. this weekend i replaced all the solenoids on the valve body along with the pumpshaft. Today the car started acting crazy when stopped at a stop sign the car idles lowers to like 800 rpm and then when you give it gas to go the rpms go to about 2300 then the car shifts hard and lurches forward. Im afraid the Torque converter is toast the tranny shop did not replace it when the tranny was done so it has 144k on it. any ideas well help as i need this car running asap........

·
Premium Member
1,654 Posts
From what your saying, I agree, the tranny shop set you up for failure. It sounds just like when the TC went in my '99. You get another re-build. If it were me, I would create a huge stink with the trans shop for NOT changing the TC when they had it open.

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Heres what it took to solve the 1744 fault code on my 99 tec with ax4n tranny: torque converter, tcc apply valve, pump shaft bearing and gasket set. And 12 qts. of mercon v. Tranny has to come out to replace tc.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
yeah im pulling the tranny right now. I have disconnected everything and im haveing no luck splitting the motor and trans

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a bellhousing bolt between the tranny housing and engine. It's hard to see, and a pain to remove.

Yeah i found that one. i called it a night. I have been looking at alot of tranny removal threads but have not found one for a 99 yet.

·
Registered
1,235 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am trying to avoid removing the subframe at all cost but its looking like i might have to take it out

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Subframe has to go.

arrrggggghhhh you stink HAHAHA

way to break the bad news .

I have another question do you know how much fluid the torque converter in a axod holds

im sending the wifey to buy the new fluid first thing in the AM

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks man, you may have single handedly save my car from being put to pasture and me driving over it with my jeep.....

1 - 16 of 16 Posts