Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
can you tell me were the hook up is located to check and charge the air conditioner,seems like its not blowing real cold air,we have only had car for a month so far.

G

·
LOL Ash, your explanation is a little off... lol

The High Side is located near the passenger's headlight assembly. Has a black cap covering the valve. You shouldn't be able to miss it. It's right above the AC Compressor.

The Low Side is located on the passenger side as well. Nead the Passenger side Windshield Wiper. You shouldn't be able to miss it.

I'll try and get some pics out so you can get a better idea of what I am talking about.

Sal

G

·
Blue is Low Side.
Red is High Side.

The High Side, you can see the valve in the pic. The Low Side, you can't see. But it's in that area. Shouldn't be too hard to find.

Sal

Attachments

·
Registered
135 Posts
I have a 98 and i just charged my a/c. i put it in the lo-side or the blue
from sablesal's pics. it will only go in one way so it is supposed to be
foolproof. make sure you wear goggles and gloves, they say the stuff
can really hurt you if it explodes. try to use the small cans 12oz, without
the leakseal stuff, because they say it can clogg the system and then
the service people won't work on it later because can contaminate their
equip. mine was empty it took 1 can of 19 oz and 1 can of 12 oz.
dave

G

·
With the R134a setup and others (R12). There's a little more to it then that.

You need to check the pressures on both High and Low before adding Freon. Also look for leaks. If you're getting moisture in the system a good Evacuation and Recharge may do the trick. If not, then Ecummulator/Receiver Drier are going to be needed... $$$

Any how, good luck with that,

Sal

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
i thought it was added to low side too.i think the equiptment to add only fits one side,i did our corsica a few years back,jim

·
Registered
241 Posts
it's like a dull question. If there is a need to recharge AC, there must be a leak somewhere. Isn't it necessary to check leakage before recharge AC? My AC just won't work really well and i am thinking of bring it for a leakage check. Can i just recharge it?

Never did this before, how hard it could be? is it OK for a newbie like me?
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i bought the recharge kit and instructions a few years back,with pressure test also,and if i would have kept instructions i wouldnt be asking all over again.in the good kit are instructions that even a new one can do,only dont loose them,jim

G

·
This is definitely safe enough for the shadetree mechanic to do. The hose in those recharge kits will only attach to the low side service port, which on our cars is located as Sal pictured. FYI, Ashley WAS correct on the location, just called it the high side as opposed to the low side.

Most of the kits come with a pressure gauge inline with the charging hose. You can use that to check the pressure on the low side with the car running and the AC on Max. The kit should have instructions to tell you what it should be, but I think it's in the area of 30-40 psi or so.

If the compressor's not cycling due to a low charge, then you'll need to jump the connector to get the compressor to turn on when charging. The connector is behind the passenger's side headlamp, and is brown if I remember correctly. There's two wires to it, just jump those and the compressor should cycle and the cooling fan should come on.

If the system is that low, what I'd do is grab one of those multi-product 134 cans (leak detector/sealer/refrigerant) and add that first. If it's just a slight O-ring leak that should seal it. If it's a larger leak, the leak detector will come out and make the job of repairing it a lot easier.

G

·
Originally posted by Firespirit@Sep 9 2004, 08:54 PM
So, wait... You can jump the compressor? ... Hmmmm I need to look into this more. I recharged my air the beginning of the summer and I don't know what happened....
I should restate that. If the compressor is not cycling (clutch is not engaging) due to low 134 charge, then you need to jump it to start charging it. You can't leave it jumped all the time.

One of my projects this winter (go figure) is getting the AC going on the SHO. It's basically the same principles for most AC systems, so I'll get pics and a more definitive writeup going.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Real old topic here but better than making a new one I sp'ose.

I bought a recharge kit at Autozone today for $30. My A/C doesn't work for crap. The compressor just keeps cycling on and off repeatedly every few seconds. The guy at Autozone said that's due to a low charge - I always thought it was too.

So, I bought the kit, hooked it up to the low side, and cranked the A/C to max. Pierced the seal and opened the valve. As it was 'filling' or whatever it was doing the compressor kept going on and off. I noticed that when I opened hte valve too far the pressure would SHOOT up passed 100 PSI so thats no good. Backed it down and it was hovering around 40psi. I'd turn the A/C off and let it rise to ~75psi or 80psi and hten turn it back on, and the compressor would run for a good 3-4 seconds and bring it back down to 45 ish. Then it would do its normal cycling on/off every 3 seconds. I did this for like 30 minutes with no improvement to my A/C nor the cycling problem.

Please help :(

·
Registered
13 Posts
I'm having the same problem with the A/C on an old truck of mine. I was thinking of recharging the A/C on my 2001 Taurus, but this is a lot more complicated than I thought it would be.

How does one "jump the compressor"?

What is the difference between high side and low side?

I guess I'll add a couple squirts to the low side and see what happens? :huh:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts