Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First off let it be known that i know just about nothing about cars. So dont hold it against me :).

I recently bought a taurus, it is the 3.0 v6, and when i go to stop signs/lights, it shakes and studders a bit, and when taking off it seems to hesitate a little. Also, while driving up hills it seems to studder a little and you can actually feel it "jerk". Im thinking the stopping part might be due to a bad VSS, and the up hill thing might be due to needing a tune up and fuel filter, but like i said, im not very engine savvy. Also worth mentioning the car has 135,xxx miles on it and runs good on flat ground going at a moderate (35-65mph) speed.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
it could be a number of things or a combination of alot of things. I would start by looking for a vac leak. tune up, make sure air filter is clean. pulling the plugs will tell you a lot, gap, color and smell will help narrow the problems down.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
checked the plugs, they looked alright, im replacing them and the new ones are properly gapped, no vaccum leak since it was the first thing i checked, new air filter,

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
a dirty mass air sensor can cause problems. dirty injectors. weak fuel pump or even bad gas. every once in a while i run my gas tank low then put in one gallon of premium. My car runs a lot better when i do this. ( more energy ) If you do this and the problem goes away i would start goin to a different gas station ( Pure gas is the best )

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
when i had it taken to a mechanic, he said the fuel pump was fine, the gas im not sure since i take it to several gas stations. Ill have the injectors checked out, and how do you go about cleaning the mass air sensor and where would it be located?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No idea, havent checked that yet i actually completely forgot about it. Could that be a part of the problem? What do the different "smells" mean?

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
converter shutter? my crown vic has it been doing it for years but it doesnt hesitate from stop. the trans fluid should be red in color. it shouldnt smell burnt or look like dirty oil

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
normally hesitation is caused by fuel mix ( lean/rich condition ) weak iginition system, tps sensor, map sensor, air temp sensor, down stream air leak, bad plugs and wires, coil, dpfe, long story made short. use a scan tool that displays fuel trim levels. this will tell you if it is fuel or iginition.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
well i just changed the plugs and wires, runs ALOT better, no hesitation, no pulling at the stops, and no backfiring (which i forgot to mention earlier). tranny fluid was clean, i did find out it needs a new power steering pump unfortunately.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
lol... the back fire would of helped... glad you got it sorted out. a bad belt or tension pulley can make the power steering act up. worth the look before you spend the money

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
ha yeah i seem to leave key points out alot, it mainly did it at high RPMs, ill be having the power steering thing checked out this weeken, my friend said it was something with the pump since he turned the car on and took off the ps cap and it splashed all over him, so i can only assume thats not very normal.

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
lol.... the pump is under pressure when the car is on. you only check it when the car is off. if the steering wheel turns with little effort then i wouldnt worry about it. when the pump goes bad you hear a whine when you turn the wheel or sitting at idle. it takes more effort to turn the wheel at all speeds..

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well it whines and grinds when idle and the wheel is turning and is extremely hard to turn. I took it for a test drive and it runs better, but going up hills, stops and gos are still rough, it seems like the car cant figure out what gear to go into? Ive never had a taurus before, but i got it cheap, and figured id give it a fighting chance ;)

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
try this.... disconnect battery ( pos and neg ) then step on the brake pedal for around 30 sec to discharge the reserve power. reconnect the battery. ( clock and radio stations should be back at default ) this will reset the trans. see how it acts after this. the trans has high miles on it so im sure the gears are a little worn. but sometimes its the driving habits that make the trans act up.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
try this.... disconnect battery ( pos and neg ) then step on the brake pedal for around 30 sec to discharge the reserve power. reconnect the battery. ( clock and radio stations should be back at default ) this will reset the trans. see how it acts after this. the trans has high miles on it so im sure the gears are a little worn. but sometimes its the driving habits that make the trans act up.
tried that this morning, no luck. still does the jolting nonsense

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mostly its always in OD, i have a 70 mi daily commute and the terrain varies from hills to flats, i did test in in drive and seemed to do the same thing, just a little less. And it is only up hills and when stopping

1 - 19 of 19 Posts