Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my problems started when i ran out of gas, after i put 2.5 gallons my car would crank but not start. i had to get it towed to the dealer. they did a computer diagonistics and they told me i needed a ecm and ignition coil.
they said the ecm was bad and the ignition coil was worn out.
any help on this?
i find it funny cause all was fine before i ran out of gas.
:huh:

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
When you first turn the key on, can you hear the fuel pump prime up?

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Need to check for pressure at the fuel rail. Not sure what it's supposed to be. Fuel filter good? Running out of fuel often includes the fuel pump sucking crud off of the tank bottom. Clogged filter, injectors, and dead pump can result.

·
Registered
32 Posts
According to repair manuals and a google search, fuel pressure should be between 30 and 40 psi when the key is turned on. It should drop to twenty something once the car is running.

I'm dealing with similar symptoms with mine (see my thread in this forum). I replaced the fuel pump, but still no start. I'm going to check the fuel pressure within the next day or so. I've been told the brand of fuel pump I purchased doesn't exactly have a good reputation for being reliable. So it is plausible that the "new" fuel pump is bad.

You can spray starting fluid in the air inlet tube to see if the car will run on that alone. You'll need to spray quite a bit. I even poured gas in the tube, but be very careful if you do this. If it runs on whatever you put in the throttle body, you've narrowed it down to a fuel delivery issue.

Also, check the fuel pressure regulator. Pull the vacuum line off of it to see if there's gas in the line. If so, the regulator is bad.

I would also pull out a spark plug or two after you've been cranking it for a while. If it's dry, that would indicate a fuel delivery issue as well.

I've learned these diagnostics from the good people here. :)

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
I doubt the PCM and coil just happened to fail at the exact moment you ran out of gas.

Check fuel pressure first. Use a NOID light to verify injectors firing if pressure checks out. Check for spark during crank. If you have correct fuel pressure, injectors firing, and compression, it has to start / run.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts