Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi
we just bought a used lx model with 72000 miles on it,with good service record.transmittion ,and coolant changed at 50000 miles,wondering how good have these motors been,and also what you think about the cars too.rides nice,and first tank of fuel on highway was almost 32 miles per gallon.i know lot of chevys go 150000 miles plus,will this motor do that too with good service.what can i except from this car :D

·
Premium Member
15,922 Posts
Welcome to the Club! :tcca:

Well, since it's a Vulcan, that thing is bulletproof. I've heard people getting over 200k with the Vulcan with proper maintenance.

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Qwertz9586@Aug 2 2004, 08:32 PM
Welcome to the Club! :tcca: 

Well, since it's a Vulcan, that thing is bulletproof. I've heard people getting over 200k with the Vulcan with proper maintenance.
:withstupid: If you properly maintain it it should last you a long time. The biggest issues i have heard of with the Vulcan seem to the the DPFE sensor. It will throw

P0401 - Exhaust Gas Recirculation Flow Insufficent Detected.

codes when it has gone bad and needs replacing. Other then that, make sure you regularly maintain your transmission as they are the weaker link in the vehicle. Flush it (Flush, not drain and fill) around every 30K miles or two years (some will say 1 year but that is excessive) which ever comes first. Make sure they use Mercon V fluid and replace the filter. I'd also suggest adding an Aux trans cooler since heat is the # 1 killer of our transmissions. While you are at it, it wouldn't hurt to add a magnefine in-line filter to your transmission line. It will help to get any metal shavings your pan magnet misses and help to filter out other non metallic debris.

If you have any questions specific or not don't hesitate to ask. There are many knowledgeable people here and are more then willing to help others. Hope that helps to answer your question and Welcome to the TCCA.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i did see they changed the dpfe sensor around 50000 miles,and transmittion fluid at 60000 miles.how has the car it self done,front end parts ect,over time.also hows the timing holding up on the vulcan motors,is it run by belt,or chain,jim

G

·
Originally posted by michigan man@Aug 3 2004, 03:28 PM
i did see they changed the dpfe sensor around 50000 miles,and transmittion fluid at 60000 miles.how has the car it self done,front end parts ect,over time.also hows the timing holding up on the vulcan motors,is it run by belt,or chain,jim
That's good that the DPFE was changed, it probably won't give you any trouble then. If the tranny fluid was changed at 60k, then they were probalby following the maintenance schedule, which is a good thing - you should do it every 30k or sooner. As recommended above, an auxilliary transmission cooler definitely is recommended. My last car, a 99 SE, which I got rid of with just over 100k on the clock didn't have any problems with the front end, and I don't think any problems are common with it. I've never heard of anybody having a timing issue with the vulcan, but I don't know how it's run. Just follow the scheduled maintenance guide and you should easily see 120k+ miles. A Taurus is the kind of car that if you take care of it, it will take care of you.

Welcome to the club! B)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Looks like jason beat me to it. I too do not know if it is a chain or belt since i don't have a vulcan myself but i'm thinking it is a chain IIRC. I'm sure someone that knows for sure will chime in on this.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
It is a chain and should last as long as the engine. These are great engines, very durable. My car currently has 135,000 miles on it and runs like a champ. I drive it very hard at times and it runs great! My dad has owned several vehicles with the vulcan and all of which have had very high miles. My dad's last van, an Aerostar, had the vulcan with over 205,000 miles and was all original! :p :banana:

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I APPRECIATE ALL THE REPLYS,AND HOPE THE TRANNY HOLDS UP WELL TOO,CAR RIDES NICE,AND THIRD FILL UP HAS US AT 27 PLUS M.P.G.. HALF HIGH WAY AND REST TOWN DRIVING,AND USING THE AIR A LITTLE TOO,

WHAT KIND OF GAS MILEAGE YOU GUYS GETTING,I DID GET ALMOST 32 BRINGING IT HOME 185 MILES AWAY,AT 75 MPH,JIM

MUST BE THE DRIVE BELT DOES ,POWER STEERING,WATER PUMP,FAN AND AIR CONDITIONER

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by michigan man@Aug 3 2004, 09:13 PM
That depends on the year i believe, you didn't happen to mention the year yours was i don't believe. In gen3 and newer the Fans are electric so the belt has nothing to do with them in 96 and newer models. Honestly, i don't know if the 95 and older had electric fans or not having never had a 95 or older model myself.

·
Premium Member
10,632 Posts
Originally posted by HighTecRedneck+Aug 4 2004, 08:44 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (HighTecRedneck @ Aug 4 2004, 08:44 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-michigan man@Aug 3 2004, 09:13 PM
That depends on the year i believe, you didn't happen to mention the year yours was i don't believe. In gen3 and newer the Fans are electric so the belt has nothing to do with them in 96 and newer models. Honestly, i don't know if the 95 and older had electric fans or not having never had a 95 or older model myself. [/b][/quote]
:eek: Nate lost his reading ability :lol: It's in the topic sentence - 1999 Taurus Lx

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
Welcome to the club michigan man. I love my Vulcan. Just make sure to keep it maintained. If I can recommend one thing to you it would be to get a Chilton's manual. It's almost mandatory to get one! ;)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by Firespirit+Aug 4 2004, 11:39 AM--><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Firespirit @ Aug 4 2004, 11:39 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Originally posted by [email protected] 4 2004, 08:44 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-michigan man
@Aug 3 2004, 09:13 PM

That depends on the year i believe, you didn't happen to mention the year yours was i don't believe. In gen3 and newer the Fans are electric so the belt has nothing to do with them in 96 and newer models. Honestly, i don't know if the 95 and older had electric fans or not having never had a 95 or older model myself.
:eek: Nate lost his reading ability :lol: It's in the topic sentence - 1999 Taurus Lx [/b][/quote]
:homer:

Yeah didn't even check the title and had forgotten about it, just looked at his first message and responses and didn't see a year :lol2:

Well that case the fans you have are electronic. ;)

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by gryphon1011@Aug 4 2004, 11:41 AM
If I can recommend one thing to you it would be to get a Chilton's manual. It's almost mandatory to get one! ;)
:withstupid: That or a Haynes manual. It's a matter of personal preference as to which you get. I've had a Haynes since i got the car and then bought my Chilton's from Sarah (detroit_raver) not to long ago. If you don't have one already then get the Haynes from Sarah, i'm sure she'll cut you a god deal ;)

·
Premium Member
1,326 Posts
They're right. Either one is pretty much a necessity as you will become infected with the "MOD" beetle. Even for something like swapping out the grille insert or changing out the taillight bulbs which you will learn about soon enough! ;)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Welcome to the club. My 96 Sable ran had around 155,000 when my ex wife traded it. She traded it not because of engine trouble but because the AC failed. The engine was still rock solid and we never had any real problems with it. I know the mom of a friend of mine has a 96 with a vulcan that has around that same milage and it's going strong with no problems.

Robert

·
Premium Member
821 Posts
Originally posted by jason8225@Aug 4 2004, 09:08 PM
You could also get a service CD on ebay, they are a little nicer than the manuals sometimes. :)
I'll second that, the service CD are good for more details and such but they are not written at an entry level like the haynes and chiltons and depending on your experience that might be a necessary.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts