Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, asking for some suggestions on what to check. I bought my son a nice 1999 SE with 3.0 DOHC. I personally liked it very much. Through my son's stupidity and a poor design by Ford he damaged his motor. He drove thru water about a foot deep (stupity) and sucked water up the air intake plenum (poor design) and locked his motor. Towed it home and pulled plugs and removed intake. Vacuumed out all the water. Motor was still locked. Put a breaker bar on the crakshaft and could not turn the engine to the right. Turned it to the left and it went about a 1/4 turn. Turned back to the right and it goes a 1/4 turn and stops solid. I don't know how much effort I want to put in this car but what other damage could I expect was done? It is pouring out right now ( been raining for a week) but I am going to get my son out there to look in the spark plug holes and see if the pistons move when I move the crankshaft. This would tell me if he broke a piston rod. What else coud I check? Thanks.

ED

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
Are you 100% sure that you got all the water out? Did you remove your spark plugs and then try to turn over the motor. If so with the description you gave the motor is probably damaged internally. When you hydrolock an engine there is about a 50% chance that you bend a rod. That is more than likely what happened if you got all the water out and it still won't turn over.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think you are right about the motor being toast. Really a shame how much damage he did out of being careless. It was his first car too. What would I expect to pay for a motor from the junk yard?

ED

QUOTE (Scout1 @ May 23 2009, 10:17 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727419
Hi all, asking for some suggestions on what to check. I bought my son a nice 1999 SE with 3.0 DOHC. I personally liked it very much. Through my son's stupidity and a poor design by Ford he damaged his motor. He drove thru water about a foot deep (stupity) and sucked water up the air intake plenum (poor design) and locked his motor. Towed it home and pulled plugs and removed intake. Vacuumed out all the water. Motor was still locked. Put a breaker bar on the crakshaft and could not turn the engine to the right. Turned it to the left and it went about a 1/4 turn. Turned back to the right and it goes a 1/4 turn and stops solid. I don't know how much effort I want to put in this car but what other damage could I expect was done? It is pouring out right now ( been raining for a week) but I am going to get my son out there to look in the spark plug holes and see if the pistons move when I move the crankshaft. This would tell me if he broke a piston rod. What else coud I check? Thanks.

ED[/b]

·
Registered
149 Posts
Sorry to hear the motor is locked up, I have an acura in my driveway that has water damage, when it runs it ticks really bad. (kind of suprised that it runs at all) A mechanic said that sometimes when water gets in there the rod bearing hole will bend into more of an oval shape rather than a circle so that would explain the ticking. We'll find out when I tear into it >:) hopefully I can finish repairing it before I go to school....

P.S.: Check car-part.com for another motor in your area, the closest motor I found for the acura was in Al. for $725 just as an example. Good luck

·
Registered
41 Posts
Might be hydro locked

take off air filter and clean all water out of box.. pull out all the plugs and turn car over several revolutions to try to get the water out of the chambers.. put plugs back in try and see if it starts

there is a good possibility the engine if FUBAR .. but its worth a try

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
If you can't rotate it that far, the crank is probably twisted with a few bent rods.

The intake design isn't a poor one, its your son's driving skills that are poor. If he managed to get the saxacone that deep in water, there was water up above the bottom of the doors, and the transmission and power steering rack went for a nice swim too.
The Taurus wasn't designed to be amphibious. It isn't a hummer or a lifted F150.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:blush: I already admitted that my son did something stupid, but I still say it is a poor design. After doing alot of online searching and talking to people in the business it happens quite often and is not only limited to Ford. Doesn't really matter now. I have confirmed that the #1 piston rod is brokenQUOTE (dark_fire @ May 23 2009, 11:13 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727541
If you can't rotate it that far, the crank is probably twisted with a few bent rods.

The intake design isn't a poor one, its your son's driving skills that are poor. If he managed to get the saxacone that deep in water, there was water up above the bottom of the doors, and the transmission and power steering rack went for a nice swim too.
The Taurus wasn't designed to be amphibious. It isn't a hummer or a lifted F150.[/b]

·
Registered
2,064 Posts
As long as nothing else is trashed, just pluck an engine and get 'er done.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dark Fire I am thinking about that. I am getting a little old to be crawling under a car. My son doesn't have much mechanical ability (might need DNA test :rolleyes2: ) This may be a good time to teach him something. Might make him more careful next time. Shoz123 that may be the answer LOL. Thanks everyone and God bless all our servicemen and women who gave their lives for this country.

ED

Thanks guysQUOTE (dark_fire @ May 24 2009, 09:27 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727675
As long as nothing else is trashed, just pluck an engine and get 'er done.[/b]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts