Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My Merc Sable had its second accident a couple weeks ago. Someone was following too close and backended it. No longer can open the trunk, don't have to worry about someone stealing the amps anymore! I am 48 and have owned lots of cars, driving about 25,000 a year for the last 20 years. This car I purchased four years ago and now has 195k miles. I replaced the rack and pinion (thanks to this forum for the help), ball joints, wheel bearings and brakes last year. Still gets 25-27 mpg. Everything works fine except the wipers will turn on for a cycle or two once a week and the tranny shifts a little slow sometimes between 2nd and 3rd. I hope to get another 25k on it before it heads to the junk yard. This has been one of the most trouble free cars I have ever owned. It has also been great to have this forum as a resource for troubleshooting.
I am going to look for another Taurus/Sable in the spring. Thanks for the help!

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
It seems like you've had a better luck. My car has under 64000 miles. The rack and pinion had to be replaced at around 57K, and the ball joints where done just a month ago. The wipers turn on intermittently too, but very infrequently. Everything else works fine right now, though I suspect at some point, I will need new struts and springs and new wheel bearings as well, since it seems like everyone has replaced those in high millage cars. I am fresh just out of university with lots of debt, and kinda hope this car will last for a long time since I am not thrilled with the idea of making monthly payments and higher insurance rates associated with a new car.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts