Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 99 SE, and one of my friends liked it so much he went and bought his own. Mine is a graphite blue SE, and his is a white SE. Both have Duratec engines, but there's a few differences that make me wonder if his is actually a '99. Here's some of the differences I've noticed:
-My car has one exhaust pipe coming out the rear. His has duals.
-My shifter is on the floor, and I shift in and out of overdrive (as in D with circle around it and D w/o circle). His shifter, also on the floor, has an O/D button on it (Only D w/o circle).
-My rear speakers are covered with carpet. His has speaker grills.
-The tweeter covers in mine have "holes" (to make them look like grills) in them. His tweeter covers are smooth pieces.
-His also has "Taurus" mudflaps, and mine doesn't.

His car has the rotary climate, cloth seats, and no moonroof, so it's not the SE Sport. I don't have the VIN number of his car to check it out, so I was wondering if anyone can verify if his car is a '99, and if so, what's the deal with those differences? Thanks.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I wouldn't be surprised! Ford changed many things during the 1999 year. I have two Taurus' 1997, 2001. I am looking at a 99 and there are diffeences that are not always common in all 99 models. My guess is that they were experimenting with the 1999 that were still in production to see what they would like for the 2000 year.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Yeah, my guess would be that one of the cars is the early 99 production model, and the other is a late 99 production model.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Late 1999 cars like mine got screwed out of alot, including

Rear sway bar
Variable assist power steering
Keyless entry (I think, I know I don't have it)
Tweeters (open your tweeter covers 99GBlue, bet there's nothing in there)

The switch from dual exhaust outlets to single also was made for late '99 'tecs.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by dIESEL600@May 15 2004, 02:29 PM
Late 1999 cars like mine got screwed out of alot, including

Rear sway bar
Variable assist power steering
Keyless entry (I think, I know I don't have it)
Tweeters (open your tweeter covers 99GBlue, bet there's nothing in there)
No, I don't have tweeters, but weren't they only a part of the Mach System?
Anyway, what's the variable assist power steering?
And since I probly don't have a sway bar, would adding even an early 99 bar make a big difference in handling? or would it be better to just go with one off a SHO?

Sorry so many questions, but it's the only way I'll learn :)

·
Registered
193 Posts
Now that you mention it, I realized that my 99' doesn't have a rear sway bar either. WTF is that about? Mine didn't have keyless either, I had to add it. I knew about the dual exhaust. I noticed the tweeter thing too. And no variable assist? Grrrr.

My other 99' that I bought years back and traded in (stupid me for listening to my now ex-wife) had the dual exhaust. It was manufactured in late 98'. The one I own now was manufactured in October of 99'. My parents also had a 99' (manufactured in early 99') and it only had a single exhaust, but had keyless and actually had tweeters where they should be. They didn't have premium sound either. I'm not sure about the sway bar. I know it had variable assist because I remember talking to my dad about it.

D**n you Ford. Way to re-engineer your cars as trials for another design (that would be the only explanation for the differences from car to car in the 99 year). Now I'm kinda p1$$ed about this and I want to know what they took out in late 99' that they re-added in the 2000 models. :angry:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts