Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought the car. Body is mint. Guy said serpentine belt came off while his wife was driving, and she continued to drive for a bit -- no water pump or power steering, ouch!

He says his mechanic said it likely blew the head gasket. It will not start, just makes a whining noise and not even a cranking sound.

Should I remove the heads and inspect the gasket, and the head for warping?

Engine shop down the street wants only $50 to resurface each head if needed.

I have read online that sometimes if it was very bad, the internals could be rusted and no longer good. Does this mean I shouldn't even bother replacing the gasket and surfacing the heads? Or, will that likely suffice as far as making the engine run again?

·
Registered
10,928 Posts
Just bought the car. Body is mint. Guy said serpentine belt came off while his wife was driving, and she continued to drive for a bit -- no water pump or power steering, ouch!

He says his mechanic said it likely blew the head gasket. It will not start, just makes a whining noise and not even a cranking sound.

Should I remove the heads and inspect the gasket, and the head for warping?

Engine shop down the street wants only $50 to resurface each head if needed.

I have read online that sometimes if it was very bad, the internals could be rusted and no longer good. Does this mean I shouldn't even bother replacing the gasket and surfacing the heads? Or, will that likely suffice as far as making the engine run again?
Total loss of compression is likely stuck rings, not the gasket. I have squirted oil in the plug holes and got enough comprssion to start and that un stuck rings and the engine ran again ok. But leaked water out the exhaust pipe. Cracked head.

-chart-

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
the real question is.... how much money do you want to invest into this car. like chart said. use oil in the spark plug holes. see if you can get it to start so you can get a better ideal of what is going on with the engine. if it has high miles it might be cheaper in the long run to do a total rebuild. my guess is the bearings are fried also. maybe look for a bull that was rear ended and get the engine. most of the time you can hear it run before it gets pulled

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The car has low miles -- 109,000. The body is mint. That said, I only paid 650. I can just replace the engine with a good used one, but all I am saying is I would rather not, if I don't have to.

As the car does not start, I understand I am going to have to replace the head gaskets and also have my machine shop resurface the heads -- regardless, I am not taking any chances with the heads.

If the coolant caused rust in the cylinders, how can I tell if the rings are rusted to the walls?

If they are, how do I overcome this?

I am trying to figure out if I should just stick it out, do the work -- which I really want to -- or replace the engine with a used one. Rather do the work....

·
Registered
3,377 Posts
put a wrench on the crank pully and give it a turn. it will turn will a lil effort if it isnt froze. if it is rusted it wont want to turn at all.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts