Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I noticed I was leaking tranny fluid.Not sure how long it had been doing it since I only saw the drippings once I parked at home.
I did not experience anything odd while driving other than when I backed in I saw the fluid drips in front of me.
So i looked under the car and tried to find the leak.I found it and messed with it a bit and got it to leak.
The images show where it is.If I press on that plate I can get fluid to come out.
I say I lost about 1/4 cup when it was parked but who knows when I started and how much I lost during that time.

I will assume this will be a pain to do it myself and will probably be big $$$ to get fixed.
Not something I wanted to happen days before I head to the river in Yuma with my family.
Might have to cancel the trip :(

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
That'll likely be the torque converter or front pump seal. Tranny has to come out to replace the seal.

·
Premium Member
2,073 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Can anyone tell me for sure what that seal is?
I think after reading reviews I will stay away from adding additives and just get some estimates.
I'd like to know what to say on the phone as I really don't want to drive it until I find a place to drive to and get it fixed.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Well, fixing it right would be expensive in this case and just swelling the seals is cheaper and may last for several thousand if not tens of thousands of miles.

I'd use the Lucas crap myself rather than just brake fluid... Cause I'm a mind numbed Lucas robot! :crazy:

What I mean by "Get that crap out of there."

If the leak stops, drop the pan and change your filter and several quarts of fluid. Why? Because if it ain't transmission fluid it shouldn't be in your transmission.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the help.I think I will do the LUCAS stuff after a few calls when I know what to tell them.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the help.
Where can one get this Ford CD ? Is this something only service repairmen have access to?

I have the feeling my trip to Yuma is canceled and I will be paying around $400 for this repair.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Told ya, the Rudy has X-Ray glasses... He just doesn't want us trying to steal them. Try to get the seal to swell before you spend money on the transmission.

If you do have the transmission pulled for this, if you can afford it, might as well have the whole GD thing rebuilt while its out.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thats the thing.I don't have the money.I really don't have it for the small repair it needs right now.Which by no means is small when talking about pulling the tranny.
I hate to "band-aid" it but spending $100 or less for a fix that will allow me to drive it to work and back for awhile is going to have to be the option I take.
Now I just need to find someone willing to help me do all this.
How should I go about doing this anyway? Add the LUCAS... ?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Broke(n) @ May 19 2009, 12:56 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726357
Thats the thing.I don't have the money.I really don't have it for the small repair it needs right now.Which by no means is small when talking about pulling the tranny.
I hate to "band-aid" it but spending $100 or less for a fix that will allow me to drive it to work and back for awhile is going to have to be the option I take.
Now I just need to find someone willing to help me do all this.
How should I go about doing this anyway? Add the LUCAS... ?[/b]
Procedure for adding crap to your transmission:
Get the car warm (takes 20 miles of driving.).
With the car still warm and running, on a level surface and check the transmission fluid level with the car in park and running.
If the level is below the bottom line and clear of the hash marks you can safely proceed to the next step of your choice. If it is above the bottom line and in the hash marked area you'll need a hand pump and you'll need to remove the volume of transmission fluid you are about to add (they have these at Autozone I just couldn't find a link.):

Two choices.

1. Do what Rudy said.
The volume he stated wasn't what I am used to seeing. Based on my experience with an in-law who is a used car salesman that still is in business today.
Procedure:
Dump 12 OZ of Brake Fluid in the Tranny. Valucraft / 12 oz. DOT 3 Brake Fluid

2. Do What 2000Sable A.K.A. Paul Phillips says:
add 24 OZ of Lucas Oil/24 oz. Non Solvent Transmission Fix

When ever the car stops leaking fluid drop the pan and change the filter and replace however many quarts of transmission fluid dropping the pan removes with your choice of transmission fluid.

I like synthetic transmission fluids but for your transmission it's probably too late for synthetics.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
When I drop the pan, about how much fluid are we talking about coming out?
Also, would it be a good idea to just buy a Transmission Filter Kit ?

With choice #1 - do I still need to "Get that crap out of there." ?

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
QUOTE (Broke(n) @ May 19 2009, 02:22 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=726383
When I drop the pan, about how much fluid are we talking about coming out?
Also, would it be a good idea to just buy a Transmission Filter Kit ?

With choice #1 - do I still need to "Get that crap out of there." ?[/b]

The amount of transmission fluid needed on a pan drop is known by the guys at Autozone. Just ask and they can tell you how many quarts you'll need.

Yes, get the filter kit. You'll need it when you drop the pan.

With choice #1 you'll want to get that out of the transmission also.

Rudy know's his stuff, so maybe just a couple of cap fulls of brake fluid will work but, I have serious doubts since your car holds ~13 quarts of fluid. When you drop the pan you'll be lucky to replace six quarts.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Ok well I tried the LUCAS ...
I needed some fluid since some leaked out so I added about 12OZ give or take and then topped off with about half a quart of tranny fluid.
Drove around the town a bit and so far I see no leaks or drips even.
I'm about to drive about 5 miles away to my moms to do my brakes so will see what that does.
It did seem to make the tranny run better.Shifted gears smoothly.Not that it was rough anyway but did notice a small difference.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
It'll take the seals a full day to swell. Leave it in for about a week if the leak has stopped and then drop the pan. The Lucas stuff will cause shutter of your transmission because it is too thick.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Not saying you are wrong but so far 3 people I have talked to say they use it all the time and never drain it out.Never had any problems.
I had told them what you said about that and they just said it wasn't necessary.
One was the guy at NAPA I bought it at, the other 2 were mechanics that used it in their cars.
Have also read the same thing on other forums.

Just saying ... so kinda torn on what to do.

·
Premium Member
1,439 Posts
Do what you think is best. I'm glad to help and glad your car isn't leaking any more. You should take the advice of a mechanic over mine any day of the week.

I will tell you this, if the shutter starts it's the Lucas causing it. You'll know it when you feel it.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts