Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The GEM Module was bad on our 1999 Taurus so I went to a you pull it salvage yard today, and pulled one from another 1999 Taurus. It is the exact part number, XF1T-14B205-AA. I was concerned because everyone says they need to be programmed. The one I pulled out was from a nicer model, ours is an SE. I put the GEM Module in, and everything works just fine. So my main question is, should I, or do I, need to have it reprogrammed? I'm not sure if the GEM is for the motor and transmission tunes or not. The new GEM was out of the 24 valve motor car, and ours is the regular V6 motor. What does everyone think? Everything seems fine. I bought the GEM for $22.68, and that includes tax, plus a $2.00 charge just to go into the slavage yard. So for $24.68, and about 5 gallons of gas, I got the right part. I think I made out pretty good. Any input is appreaciated. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
No you don't need to. The GEM module itself retains information on your remote clicker and a few other things, so you'll need to reprogram the remotes. Not sure why the books say to, but they are wrong. Hot swap them away, no problem. I have done it on my car, so have others :)

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
The remotes work fine with the new GEM. Should I still reprogram them? When I say remotes, I'm refering to the key fob's. Thanks

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
Oh wow they do? Wait you have a Gen 3 :lol: You don't need to program them, they are stored in a different module under the dash. Generation 4 (2000+) have the keyfob linked to the GEM, but with a different design.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Cool, sounds like I'm good to go. The Ford dealer wanted 450 bucks for the GEM, and 100 bucks to flash it. (I wonder if they really flash them if they don't need it) That was with me doing the work. They probably would of charged at least 650 bucks to do everything. I think I made out well. Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
I think it was 98 on the Gen 3s, I need to peek around under the dash of a 96 and a 97 to see if it's there.

NP on the help. You lucked out finding the part so cheap, nice work!

·
Registered
23,575 Posts
Brd7666, curious as to how you determined the gem was bad? What symptoms, issues or problems were you experiencing? Did you have to remove the fuse box to access it?

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
GEMs started in '96. I swapped in the '99s for my '97. It has a couple added features with timing and the lights.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Brd7666, curious as to how you determined the gem was bad? What symptoms, issues or problems were you experiencing? Did you have to remove the fuse box to access it?
I am a member of several other car and truck forums. I asked some questions about what my problem could be. Trouble shooted to some degree. Nothing worked so I replaced the GEM and now all is well.

I pulled the entire fuse box out. It makes it easier to remove and install the GEM. There is even a screw on the backside holding it on. Really wasn't that hard at all.

My problem was the dome light. Sometimes it would not work at all, with the switch on the dash or by opening a door. Other times the dome light would work just fine. Then there were the times the dome light would stay on. I didn't check all of the grounds, but after doing the few things I did, I figured it was the GEM like others were telling me.

I found this site the other night when I was Googling GEM model numbers. When I found this site, I told myself that I had to join.

Thanks for all the help everyone.

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for all the help everyone. I really appreciate it. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
@ Paul (SHOZ123)...what would be the benefit of replacing my '97 GEM with a '99 one, what are the other added features?

·
Premium Member
14,127 Posts
Something to do with the door switch lights. Can't remember now.....

1 - 14 of 14 Posts