Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I just started driving my Taurus wagon that's been basically garaged for the last 18 years. It has 50,000 miles on it and drives like new. The one thing I have noticed are very dim headlights. Anyone know of a brighter headlight or bulb replacement?

Edit: I just check the battery voltage; car off 12.48, car running 14.44

Thanks
Madison

·
Super Moderator
7,872 Posts
Bulbs become dimmer with age and use. Try new bulbs. If you want to stay incandescent, try Phillips Extreme Vision. I switched our fleet to LED headlights from Ebay years ago. MUCH brighter light and MUCH lower amp draw. I did adjust the headlights a few degrees down when I put in the LEDs. Never been flashed by oncoming traffic and never been pulled over.

Disclaimer: It is illegal to install LEDs in housings designed for incandescent housings.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
I just started driving my Taurus wagon that's been basically garaged for the last 18 years. It has 50,000 miles on it and drives like new. The one thing I have noticed are very dim headlights. Anyone know of a brighter headlight or bulb replacement?

Edit: I just check the battery voltage; car off 12.48, car running 14.44

Thanks
Madison
I replaced my Sable and my Taurus with TYC from RA. Sable less than $100 pair, Taurus a bit more. Taurus with lenses polished and I checked the light in the garage with light meter, with engine off. Then replaced the HL assy and it more than doubled the light output. Same bulb. They come with new bulbs Sylvania, but I Used my Extravision so reused my bulbs. So compare, same bulb, same car, same location against polished OE with age. Bulls have weal HL from OE. My Sable has my relay to boost volts, and new lamps and it is still below my Buick Lucerne.
-chart-

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I replaced my Sable and my Taurus with TYC from RA. Sable less than $100 pair, Taurus a bit more. Taurus with lenses polished and I checked the light in the garage with light meter, with engine off. Then replaced the HL assy and it more than doubled the light output. Same bulb. They come with new bulbs Sylvania, but I Used my Extravision so reused my bulbs. So compare, same bulb, same car, same location against polished OE with age. Bulls have weal HL from OE. My Sable has my relay to boost volts, and new lamps and it is still below my Buick Lucerne.
-chart-
Chartmaker, can you tell me what TYC and RA mean?
Edit: Sorry, Got it. :sleep: The brand TYC from Rockauto.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Best thing to improve is to get a headlight relay kit to route full 12V to the headlights instead of up through the headlight switch and back down (which is how my 03 sedan is and I assume others). To make it a cleaner install do yourself a favor and get some wire harness units from a junker. I say this so that if your relay ever fails you can quickly go back to factory. I don't have pics but it works well and didn't require my cutting into my factory harness or into the connector on the back of the headlight unit. 2003 SEL still with the original bulbs and headlight units that I just clean every few months. Noticed a significant amount of improvement with the relay kit. I got it on e-Bay years ago and they won't let me pull up the listing anymore.

·
Registered
9,719 Posts
Best thing to improve is to get a headlight relay kit to route full 12V to the headlights instead of up through the headlight switch and back down (which is how my 03 sedan is and I assume others). To make it a cleaner install do yourself a favor and get some wire harness units from a junker. I say this so that if your relay ever fails you can quickly go back to factory. I don't have pics but it works well and didn't require my cutting into my factory harness or into the connector on the back of the headlight unit. 2003 SEL still with the original bulbs and headlight units that I just clean every few months. Noticed a significant amount of improvement with the relay kit. I got it on e-Bay years ago and they won't let me pull up the listing anymore.
Pic of my lamp voltage boost system. Wired on the ground then installed. Pic is from when I move this from one Sable to another. Not selling this. This will cut your bulb life in a trade for more light. I carry a spare bulb and a nut driver so I can change a bulb beside the road. Pics of my Taurus from polished OE to new TYC. Be careful with your parts. They used a different retainer for the bulb, and they have a wavey washer to tension it. Drop that and it will roll to the least accessable place. Murphy's law.
Anyone interested in the volt boost system I can post a wire diagram. Requires a generic relay and a fuse/holder and some wire.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
7 Posts
Check voltage drop on the ground side. Should be one half (.5) volt or less. A higher voltage reading there means that there is less than system voltage dropping at the bulbs, causing them to dim.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts