Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

The last time my serpentine belt was replaced was at 58,000 miles and now I am at 217,000 miles. Hmm, better not wait until it fails.

I got the Motocraft belt and a serpentine tool w/15mm socket. My question is how do I properly remove the tension from the belt. Using the Chilton manual, it indicates I should put tool on the tensioner bolt and turn it counterclock-wise. When I do this, I was actually loosening a bolt which I quickly re-tighten. Without a diagram, I was blinding placing the tool onto the tensioner pulley at whatever bolt I could find. What am I doing wrong?

Does anyone have a diagram of where eactly I am supposed to place the tool?

I will try again Sunday morning when I have more information.

Thanks for all your help!
Doug B)

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,405 Posts
Just put the tool on the tensioner bolt...,don't turn the bolt, PUSH... the tensioner bolt counterclockwise to loosen the tensioner, it is spring loaded,you can then just remove the old belt and feed the new belt through the pulleys..(there is a diagram of how to feed the belt thru which pulleys on the underside of the hood ).
After you have fed the belt thru you can just push the tensioner away and put the belt back on the tensioner pulley.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Successful at last but how how tight should be the pulley idler?

Hi everybody,

Well, after having greased up hands and elbows I finally got the belt on this Sunday afternoon There are three things I want to bring to attention.

1) The biggest issue was turning the tensioner in the counterclockwise direction according to the Chilton Manual. It should be clockwise direction.
2) I discovered, on the tensioner arm there is a notch for a 3/8 break bar and that worked as well too.
3) Turning or pushing the tensioner pulley bolt would have worked if I knew it was clockwise direction.

My next question is originally, I accidently loosed the tensioner pulley bolt by turning it counterclockwise. It appeared to not be too tight in the first place and it was easy to turn. How tight should it be? Should I torque it? I don't want the pulley idler to come loose while I am driving or it being too tight causing failure of the bearing assembly. Mind it, this is the original factory tensioner assembly with 217,000 miles on it.

Thanks again all,
Doug;)

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Hi everybody,

Well, after having greased up hands and elbows I finally got the belt on this Sunday afternoon There are three things I want to bring to attention.

1) The biggest issue was turning the tensioner in the counterclockwise direction according to the Chilton Manual. It should be clockwise direction.
2) I discovered, on the tensioner arm there is a notch for a 3/8 break bar and that worked as well too.
3) Turning or pushing the tensioner pulley bolt would have worked if I knew it was clockwise direction.

My next question is originally, I accidently loosed the tensioner pulley bolt by turning it counterclockwise. It appeared to not be too tight in the first place and it was easy to turn. How tight should it be? Should I torque it? I don't want the pulley idler to come loose while I am driving or it being too tight causing failure of the bearing assembly. Mind it, this is the original factory tensioner assembly with 217,000 miles on it.

Thanks again all,
Doug;)
Hand tight is fine, it won't loosen up while driving. if I remember correctly the Vulcan and Duratec bolts are reversed, so the manual probably only included directions for the Vulcan. Pretty much with any tensioner pulley bolt, the "loosening" direction is the wrong way.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Just use ( German spec) "Gutentite" by hand and you'll be fine!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Nein, das is falsch.

"Gutentite" is an Americanism making fun of the real German greeting "guten tag" meaning 'good day' (we would say "hello"). A German might say "gut und dicht" or "gut und sicher" (but not "sicherdicht").

·
Registered
203 Posts
I made that same mistake when changing my DOHC Serpentine belt. I was following the Haynes manual though, which either said the wrong direction or was confusing for some reason (can't remember).

Anyway, when my bolt started loosening, I just tightened it back up. I never had any problem with it. Once it's tight enough, it just starts turning the tensioner anyway.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Nein, das is falsch.

"Gutentite" is an Americanism making fun of the real German greeting "guten tag" meaning 'good day' (we would say "hello"). A German might say "gut und dicht" or "gut und sicher" (but not "sicherdicht").
Das stimmt! Ich weiss ein bischen deutsch.

Serpentine belt tools are handy after your belt because the tool is like a thinner breaker bar.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
I have a Vulcan. No need for a special tool or no worry of reverse instruction. So I am gut und dicht.

EDIT: Never imagined I would learn German from TCCA.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I have a Vulcan. No need for a special tool or no worry of reverse instruction. So I am gut und dicht.

EDIT: Never imagined I would learn German from TCCA.
Sie würden überrascht, was Sie vom TCCA erlernen können!

·
Premium Member
2,543 Posts
You can figure out which direction the tensioner should go by looking at the belt routing and moving it in the direction that would remove tension.
Or if it doesn't work moving it one way, try and move it the other way.....(pie)

·
Cake monster
1,584 Posts
Or if it doesn't work moving it one way, try and move it the other way.....(pie)
I must admit, I did get a little confused when I first took the tensioner off my Taurus. It was totally locked up, so I had a large breaker bar on it and decided to give her all I had, I was rocking the engine and entire car back and forth until the bolt started spinning the wrong way :D I had to cut the belt off and replace the tensioner, it worked great after that. I've always had really good luck installing serpentine belts, I can usually do it without a diagram.

·
Premium Member
1,300 Posts
Sie würden überrascht, was Sie vom TCCA erlernen können!
You will be surprised what you from TCCA can learn? I know I missed something.

I studied German when I was in school, planning to spend a few years in Germany for postgraduate study. Now I can hardly read such a simple sentence.:(

Sorry folks for sidetracking the thread. :D

1 - 16 of 16 Posts