Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys my name is Ed, I live in Wilmington Delaware. I own a 1999 Ford Taurus SE that I've always worked on and has been trouble free till now. I have spent 3 days working on this car before I decided to burden someone for help. I will try to make this as painless as possible but please bare with me. First I greatly appreciate anyone's time and help. I sincerely mean that.
So last week I was driving I noticed it started to run funny, I pulled over and the coolant reservoir was boiling over. Neither fan was on. I let it cool down, came back the next day and drove it the mile home no problem but the Service Engine Light was on. I hooked my scan tool up to the car and tried to start it. The car would just crank. And I could smell gas bad.
The codes I got were P0113
P0118
P0123
P0708
P0340
P0453
P0713
P1702
And I had no codes the day before. I started to look at data on my scan tool and noticed the TPS sensor was at 100%. The ECT and IAT were at -40.
I dis some test on the sensors and replaced them hoping for a change, I got none. However when I grounded the TPS sensor to the shock tower the car started. And I was getting a correct percentage from the tps now. It ran rough but started. I also noticed that both fans were now on high. I then grounded the ECT sensor to the chassis. The readings then on my scan tool for both ect and iat sensors became normal and the car started to run better. But as soon as I grounded the ect both fans stopped running and the car began to overheat. If I took the ground off the ect sensor the fans would both be on high, the car would stop overheating but now ect and iat sensors read -40.
I also continuity tested the signal wires to the pcm, they all read good. I also light bulb load tested the pcm grounds and the bulb lit up on all test.
I'm sure I'm missing something probably simple, I just dont know what.
And help or suggestions are very welcomed. And I couldn't be more grateful.
Thank you so much and have a great day.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Sounds like your engine to body ground. This is in the engine compartment, at the cowl, in front of the passenger. Remove the bolt, clean the body side with sandpaper, clean the terminals and reassemble, cover with a dab of grease to prevent further corrosion. Check all your grounds at engine and body.

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
Hi guys my name is Ed, I live in Wilmington Delaware. I own a 1999 Ford Taurus SE that I've always worked on and has been trouble free till now. I have spent 3 days working on this car before I decided to burden someone for help. I will try to make this as painless as possible but please bare with me. First I greatly appreciate anyone's time and help. I sincerely mean that.
So last week I was driving I noticed it started to run funny, I pulled over and the coolant reservoir was boiling over. Neither fan was on. I let it cool down, came back the next day and drove it the mile home no problem but the Service Engine Light was on. I hooked my scan tool up to the car and tried to start it. The car would just crank. And I could smell gas bad.
The codes I got were P0113
P0118
P0123
P0708
P0340
P0453
P0713
P1702
And I had no codes the day before. I started to look at data on my scan tool and noticed the TPS sensor was at 100%. The ECT and IAT were at -40.
I dis some test on the sensors and replaced them hoping for a change, I got none. However when I grounded the TPS sensor to the shock tower the car started. And I was getting a correct percentage from the tps now. It ran rough but started. I also noticed that both fans were now on high. I then grounded the ECT sensor to the chassis. The readings then on my scan tool for both ect and iat sensors became normal and the car started to run better. But as soon as I grounded the ect both fans stopped running and the car began to overheat. If I took the ground off the ect sensor the fans would both be on high, the car would stop overheating but now ect and iat sensors read -40.
I also continuity tested the signal wires to the pcm, they all read good. I also light bulb load tested the pcm grounds and the bulb lit up on all test.
I'm sure I'm missing something probably simple, I just dont know what.
And help or suggestions are very welcomed. And I couldn't be more grateful.
Thank you so much and have a great day.
See pic, this is the common ground for the Alt. to body, and the arrow below is the PCM ground and the ground (return) for all the sensors. It is bolted over paint on the body tab. This is on the firewall pas side. The tab is a bit hard to reach with a socket, so I use a stick of wood and hammer and bend it down a bit for easier access. My case was erratic idle speed and back test of wires showed erratic return volts vs body. Sand clean, use anticorrosion compound on it. Bit eyelet goes on first, pcm ground last.

-chart-

Attachments

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
About this Discussion
3 Replies
4 Participants
chartmaker
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing