Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered the Scosche kit for my 99 Taurus. I have all the heating and AC control hooked up and working, the problem I am at, is what to do with the 18 ft wire bundle I have.

I've located the tuner/amp in the trunk but I have no idea what to do with it. I dont know where the adapter on it goes.
First I thought the adapter would go on my Deck and would plug in like any other car...boy was i wrong...I was wondering why they gave me 18 ft of wire :p

So then I thought maybe it was all suppose to be together so I put it back together so its all one long bundle again, so I figured it would go into the trunk but the only place it fit was when I actually pulled the LEFT MOST plug out and plugged it into the actual plug and not the amp which I dont see how that would work. Also the power and ground has no where to go if it gets plugged in back there.

SO I am majorly confused and spent hours setting this up, but now this speed bump has gotten me.

If anyone could explain what needs to go where and even if there is pictures, THAT WOULD BE GREAT!

I searched and didnt find anything so sorry if I missed it.
Thanks in advance to anyone who helps me out!

·
Registered
285 Posts
If it is similar to my 06 you simply plug the speaker wiring harness into the RCU harness, bypassing the Radio Control unit. Then the power and ground wires plug into the harness coming off the old harness that used to plug into the stock radio.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
See thats the problem, there was no plug going into the old stereo. It was all wired with the AC and Heater controls...very confusing...
I've tried bringing it to the RCU but I dont know where to plug it in....

Thanks for the reply!

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The 18' harness goes from your new deck (with brand specific adapter that should come with new HU) to the trunk then picks up the harness coming out of the RCU and the radio antenna. This carries amped output from the new head unit to the trunk to pick up your factory speaker harness and drive your speakers, front & rear. It also connects your antenna to your new head unit. The factory RCU in the trunk will be completely disconnected & bypassed when you are done. The 18' harness should have a Ford plug at one end (trunk end) and stripped individual leads at the other end (HU). Are you adding a new amp in your trunk?

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So i am unpluggin the left most plug and plugging the 18 ft harness into it? And then the antenna still goes into the amp/tuner box though?
The barewired end of the 18 ft bundle will be wired into my decks wires and then the hareness on the other end gets plugged into the left most plug in the RCU?
So what about the power and ground also on the hareness, where do I hook that up too? Do i have to run a power to it from the deck and then just ground it in the trunk somewhere?

If you can text, would you pm your number to me, that would help me out so much :p
Id understand if you dont wanna too though.
Thanks again for another helpful reply! really apreciated! :)

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
You know I'm not there, but it almost seems as though you are missing something. There should be a hookup for the antenna, and I would think there would be another plug that would get your power and ground sorted out. With all the right harnesses, it should be plug and play.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
So i am unpluggin the left most plug and plugging the 18 ft harness into it? And then the antenna still goes into the amp/tuner box though?
The barewired end of the 18 ft bundle will be wired into my decks wires and then the hareness on the other end gets plugged into the left most plug in the RCU?
So what about the power and ground also on the hareness, where do I hook that up too? Do i have to run a power to it from the deck and then just ground it in the trunk somewhere?

If you can text, would you pm your number to me, that would help me out so much :p
Id understand if you dont wanna too though.
Thanks again for another helpful reply! really apreciated! :)
No, not plugged into the RCU, plugged into the harness you pull out of the RCU. And Khan is correct, the 18' harness should have an antenna coax type cable in it to plug your antenna into your new head unit. All Scosche kits I have installed in G3's are completely plug & play, with everything included and detailed instructions. They also come with a harness adapter for the head end that picks up power (constant, switched and remote turn on; red, yellow, & orange) and ground (black) from the dash end of the factory harness. I just went outside and looked at the used one I have in the garage, it's all there. Did you get yours on clearance or used? I am also confused when you say there is no harness plugged into your stock HU. Is your Taurus an EATC setup, with digital climate controls, or mechanical with rotary knobs?

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
A '99 would have knobs, right?

I have bypassed Ford factory amps by placing some wiring at the amp, in the plug taken out of the amp. Basically, this completes the wiring to each speaker without going through the amp and lets you use the factory speaker wires already run thrughout the car without the amp.. This eliminates the need to use that 18' wiring harness that came with your install kit. That would be a huge pain to install.

Now, this image is for a Ford ZX2 Premium Sound amp, but you'd have to figure out which pin is for which speaker in the Taurus amp plug. Playing with just sound wires and not current, some trial and error could work if you don't have the wiring schematic.

That long harness they gave you is to bypass the factory amp, because factory amps usually are not compatible with aftermarket head units. It only has the wires for the affected speakers from the amp. The other wires (power, antenna, ground, etc) will still be wires with the short harness at the back of the radio.

You could use the wiring harness (short one) and wire the HU into the factory harness in the dash...but with the factory amp still in use, you'll only get sound out of the front speakers which typically run off the radio, as the rears are run by the amp. Until you remove the amp from the circuit, your rears won't work. My bypass does that simply, without running wiring from the amp plug all the way back up to the radio.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Okay, try this:

Looks like the power harness is slightly different on 98s & 99s, but according to the directions, all adapters are included with the kit. You do have to unplug the factory power connection to HVAC control panel and plug in supplied adapter(s).

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
A '99 would have knobs, right?

I have bypassed Ford factory amps by placing some wiring at the amp, in the plug taken out of the amp. Basically, this completes the wiring to each speaker without going through the amp and lets you use the factory speaker wires already run thrughout the car without the amp.. This eliminates the need to use that 18' wiring harness that came with your install kit. That would be a huge pain to install.

Now, this image is for a Ford ZX2 Premium Sound amp, but you'd have to figure out which pin is for which speaker in the Taurus amp plug. Playing with just sound wires and not current, some trial and error could work if you don't have the wiring schematic.

That long harness they gave you is to bypass the factory amp, because factory amps usually are not compatible with aftermarket head units. It only has the wires for the affected speakers from the amp. The other wires (power, antenna, ground, etc) will still be wires with the short harness at the back of the radio.

You could use the wiring harness (short one) and wire the HU into the factory harness in the dash...but with the factory amp still in use, you'll only get sound out of the front speakers which typically run off the radio, as the rears are run by the amp. Until you remove the amp from the circuit, your rears won't work. My bypass does that simply, without running wiring from the amp plug all the way back up to the radio.
He will still need to run the antenna connection to the rear, as the antenna plugs into the RCU in the trunk, it isn't in the dash from factory. Also, the Scosche harness keeps the power antenna functioning correctly, if he has one. Might as well run the whole Scosche harness.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
OK so I think I understand. Sorry for the confusion of this.
I do have the right idea, So the antenna will go from the my HU which I understand into the RCU. Then the speaker wires will go from the HU to the plug in the back of the car that was originally in the RCU, but I am going to unplug it from the RCU so I can plug the wires in it.

OK so I get that now. But what about the Power and Ground wire that is much shorter compared to the rest? Where am I going to run those from the trunk?

BTW, I bought the kit used but it had all the harnesses, just no instructions, so I've been winging it. SO far so good. Except the stereo. Mine is the rotary knobs

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
No need to apologize, Taurus owners help one another here.Your antenna runs from the HU thru the 18' antenna extension and plugs into your antenna in the trunk. NOTHING working will remain plugged into your RCU in the trunk, you can remove it and throw it away, or sell it to a Taurus owner if it's a good one. If you have a trunk mounted Factory CD changer it will no longer function after this conversion. The Scosche harness and adapters only fit one way, trust your own judgement and follow the directions I posted. Power and ground will be picked up in the dash IF YOU FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS FROM SCOSCHE. Glad you have rotary controls, there is NO kit to do this with an EATC. (Now you have the Scosche instructions!)

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Sorry, no pics. My current setup is a 96 LX with EATC and factory JBL system. My Scosche is sitting on a shelf in the garage with a Pioneer HU in it, waiting to be used someday. Drive to Rochester, NY and I'll put that f***er in for ya!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
OK I got the the antenna where it goes. Didnt realize it actually plugged right into the one you pull out of the RCU.

So now heres my problem, the harness I need to plug into the one I unplugged from the RCU has a power and ground to it.
I'm not quite sure where to wire these to?

I uploaded a picture of the 2 wires on the harness

Attachments

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
The yellow is a constant hot feed (+12v), the blue is a hot switched to turn on an amp or raise the power antenna when the radio (HU) gets turned on. You need to cap them off, I believe, for your particular setup. Remember, your kit fits any possible scenario, not just yours. -Dan

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Alright that makes sense. So hopefully I dont need them. They arent hooked up to anything.

I have everything hooked up...antenna and harness for the speakers...but the HU doesnt turn on...

I have a picture of 7 wires I still have left on the HU...There is a red and black which I think is possibly power and ground that I may need to hook up to something....
Im so close....

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Sorry, no pics. My current setup is a 96 LX with EATC and factory JBL system. My Scosche is sitting on a shelf in the garage with a Pioneer HU in it, waiting to be used someday. Drive to Rochester, NY and I'll put that f***er in for ya!

I'll have to keep you in mind if I ever decide to get a kit and replace my factory setup - Considering it's theoretically the same for a MACH and tweeters (And speakers).....The factory CD works great, and doesn't skip, unless the CD is REALLY bad (Of course)...But I like having the track time displayed and the FM reception isn't that great (The Aurora had two antennas in the front and rear glass, I could actually pick up The Buzz from there in Olean!).

As a side question (For anyone), since it's all bypassed if I ever sell my car (Not likely) or it kicks the bucket (Cancer for the '97), if I leave my RCU bolted I can just take out the aftermarket stuff and just plug in the old as before and it'll still work, right?

1 - 18 of 18 Posts