Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok im new here but i wanted to post my issue and resolve,,
The other day i my car wouldn't shift out of first..and found the speed sensor is no good .my car has 175,000 and running strong it been well cared for,,, so i disconnect the battery and allow the computer to reset so i got vss at advanced 28 bucks..so i searched for location of v.s.s found behind passenger tire and directly behind the motor mount. so we lowered mount after trial take mount out it well worth it !then you got direct access from the bottom with a 10mm gear wrench to sharp angle for swivel socket.. removal was pain due to be broken so with long screwdriver from rotor side and bit banging finally came out . it was for sure pain in butt but my car back to snuff with my power back ..at the shop with all the tools and ford manual is wrong lol but 2.5 hrs to complete.just to let everyone know the sign i new something was going was like a delay between 1st and second so this resolved all my issues for now..thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
Once you have the mount out of the way you can lower the engineagainst the subframe and get a combiation wrench onto the bolt. One of the new style ratchet box end wrenches would be ideal for this job.

Having to repeatedly lower and raise the engine and subframe is a real p.i.t.a. but that's the best way I know to do this "simple" repair.

Popeye

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yes was a pain but fixed my issues now so after all that im happy but time to flush tranny again i do it every 30,000 miles ..lol it wasnt very simple actually 2 people it works way better.. but love this Taurus

·
Registered
14 Posts
Was your speedometer jumping or not working? My car is doing the same thing and I suspect the VSS but the speedometer seems to be working fine.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Was your speedometer jumping or not working? My car is doing the same thing and I suspect the VSS but the speedometer seems to be working fine.
It probably is your VSS. The way it works is by producing a signal proportional to speed, so if it jumps around, the signal is probably messed up.

You don't have to lower mounts and stuff like these guys did. It might make it easier, but to me it seems like it would be more work.

It's on your transaxle, you'll need to jack up the car or put it up on ramps. then just unbolt it. the 2000+ models, theres a plastic cover you have to remove.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts