Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to be doing cat back on my car. What do you think will give all round better performance dual or single exhaust, turbo or flow through mufflers, open up the diameter of the pipe. I don't want to lose the torque but if the horse power increase is that great that the torque loss doesnt matter i can deal. But I'd like some advise/suggestions and I know the 1999 duratecs exhaust is more restrictive. Sound isn't key here. Just want the car to be quickest it can be.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
I have the dual exhaust on mine, and i have ordered a pair of Magnaflow flow-thru mufflers and tips. They'll hopefully arrive in the next couple weeks, at which time i'll have the exhaust shop run 2.5" stainless back to those puppies. I'll let you know how it turns out, with pics and a sound clip if i can manage. I'm also tossing around the idea of having them do up a custom Y-pipe with hi-flo cats. I noticed the inlet to the cats is 2" but the outlet is only maybe 1.5"... i want to open up the outlet to 2" as well, and get better flowing cats... just worried about losing too much low-end torque. Anyone else done this, and how did it turn out?

·
Registered
230 Posts
I have the dual exhaust on mine
unless it's a custom job, it's not a true dual exhaust setup. it's simply a 2-1-2 config, where the 2 exhaust manifolds join at the y pipe, and it goes from 2 pipes to 1, then by the rear axle, it splits again.

I'm going to be doing cat back on my car. What do you think will give all round better performance
most people agree that you will not gain any real noticible power from a catback, but if you are looking for good duratec setups, you night want to try a search.

and for any mods reading this, i suggest that we pin a thread with reviews of mufflers and exhaust systems. it would cut down on alot of these types of threads which pop up once a week. kinda like the whole definitive SC/turbo guide.

i apologize if it sounds like i'm flaming you two, that is not my intention. besides you two are new to the forums, and if it has not been done already, welcome to the TCCA B)
in the future before posting, try to do a search first, you wil probally find the answer to your question that way.

·
Registered
517 Posts
also i think we need sound

i l think that those that have there exhaust recorded put up a link

cause i want to do exhaust and i would like to hear what it would sound like before i do some thing to make sure i like it ...cause there is alot of different ways to do it and every one has a differnt oppinion on what sounds good i think if you can hear it that would help on desiding what you want

·
Premium Member
9,959 Posts
Originally posted by 3.0cammer@Jul 14 2004, 11:37 AM
also i think we need sound

i l think that those that have there exhaust recorded put up a link

cause i want to do exhaust and i would like to hear what it would sound like before i do some thing to make sure i like it ...cause there is alot of different ways to do it and every one has a differnt oppinion on what sounds good i think if you can hear it that would help on desiding what you want
can you suggest a way to record the exhaust? I tried before with a small tape recorder and transfered it to the computer, but it sounded terrible. I want to try using my friends laptop.

·
Premium Member
15,578 Posts
Your best bet to record the sound would be to get a laptop and a decent microphone (borrow one from a friend, if you know anyone in a band). Go to RadioShack and pick up a converter, so that the 1/4" plug from the mic is converted to an 1/8" plug into the computer. Get the full version of Musicmatch or RealOne (preferrably MMJB) and record the sound using the line-in setting on the program.

JR

·
Premium Member
10,022 Posts
I totally agree with Godspunk, except I would use Cool Edit Pro 2 software to do the recording. And the fact that microphones are XLR, not 1/4" TS.

And Does anyone know how to adapt an XLR microphone to a 1/4" plug?

·
Registered
230 Posts
And Does anyone know how to adapt an XLR microphone to a 1/4" plug?
as a matter of fact i do. go to guitar center or any other music shop and you can buy a cable with an XLR end and a 1/4" end, i have one sitting in my basement right now...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts