Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have read a lot of threads on the crankshaft pulley but something isn't clear to me. My son's pulley just tore the rubber insert away from the shaft. Can that first nut(34MM I believe) be removed and just the pulley removed and replaced? If so, which way does the bolt head need to be turned to get it off? Or does the whole thing have to come off as an assemby. I have a Craftsman electric impact gun and it can not budge it. I have read where people have used the starter to bust it loose, but that looks like it would be turning the wrong way. Any advice would be appreciated. I don't want to call a tow truck to the garage just to get that nut loose.

Ed

·
Registered
619 Posts
The bolt is regular right-hand thread, counter clockwise to remove it. It's torqued over 200 ft-lbs. The starter and a good breaker bar seems to be an easy way to get it loose. Go to any parts house and ask for a harmonic balancer and the associated puller.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
JW,
There is nothing wrong with my harmonic balancer. The problem is with the crankshaft accessory drive pulley. I know the shaft from this assembly is reverse threaded where it actually screws into the harmonic balancer on the crankshaft. What I need to know is, if you had that assembly off, can you take the assembly further apart. The shaft that the pulley is on has a place where you could hold it with an open end wrench. Can you then turn the large 34MM bolt counter clockwise to take the pulley off? If so, then I think the breaker bar and starter method may work. I just need to changed the pulley that the serpentine belt rides on. I wish I was good at posting pictures so I could explain it better.

Ed

·
Registered
619 Posts
My mistake. If it's reverse threaded, all I can suggest is an extension and a cheater bar. Apply the wrench to keep the pulley from turning, then remove the bolt.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I wish I had a photo! I removed the starter and made a "flywheel" tool from a piece of angle iron. The snout bolt needed a big breaker to bust it loose, then I removed the three nuts holding the bracket and spun the pulley with bracket off. A pipe wrench on the shaft loosened the shaft. Both are left hand threads. This is on a '96 Duratec.

I still haven't found a replacement aftermarket pulley with bearing, so it may be a dealer item. The bearing is a double row ball, probably unavailable except at a major bearing house. I'll see if I can't get numbers off of it.

Bill

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the info. When I changed the engine about a year and a half ago, I stripped the old engine of any parts. I have another crankshaft accessory bracket assembly. I just need to get theold one off with out damaging anything. I have a compressor that can put out 6.0cft at 90psi. I am thinking of getting the strongest impact wrenchthat will work with that. My electric one is probaly about 400ftlbs. I don't have the flywheel tool to lock the engine. May have to get it to the local garage. Just trying to do it cheaply without breaking something.

Ed

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.