Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1998 Ford Taurus SE 3.0 OHV
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay, I just acquired a '98 Taurus SE 3.0 OHV with 120k on it for a steal! I noticed the LR tire was toe'd in quite a bit (maybe 1-2", don't know degrees and don't have a way or know how to measure that geometry) and looked on here for answers. Came across a couple maybes last night and went out this morning to have a look. Also thought maybe it had been towed and maybe the driver of a flatbed put a J-hook on it and bent a control arm. Don't like it, but it happens. Doesn't look bent. I crawled under it and to my astonishment, I see the rear most control arm pointed the same direction as the front control arm! Like it's the control arm for the right side? And it looks fairly new, compared to the others. Is it possible this is causing my toe problem, since it looks like it is essentially mounted "backwards"? Can this control/trailing arm be rotated around 180 degrees and are the mounting holes the same diameter before I tear this down and actually try this? Also, it feels a little "squirrelly" in the rear if I hit a bump with the rear tires.
Any help would be much appreciated folks! Thanks in advance, Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Or is this even going to matter? It looks like it does because of the shape but I could definitely be wrong! Thanks again!
Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Can you get to a wrecking yard to see an undamaged one?
I just did this today. Thank you! In fact, while there I just pulled that sucker since it just takes an 18 and a 20mm socket to do it and the bushings looked good! Lucky day for me! I got the toe as good as I could. I don't even have a piece of string around here. So I used a tape measure on the wheel well and chalk on the ground. Should be okay until payday since I barely drive it. Thanks again! Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Buster rear coil. Look way up top at the area around the spring perch.
I don't recall there being a coil spring since I was so focused on the rear lower control arm. Though it could actually be an actual strut assembly and I just wasn't paying that close attention to it! Would you mind confirming if it is a strut/coil sprung rear before I get back under? I only ask because I'm actually disabled and it's pretty hard for me to get under these things too many times. Lol
Thanks, I'll definitely get into it. Ed

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pictures may help...
I got this part figured out Cybase8. It's the same part number for the left/right rear lower control arms. The left is just "flipped". I think I might have made my question more difficult than it should have been? Thanks though!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't recall there being a coil spring since I was so focused on the rear lower control arm. Though it could actually be an actual strut assembly and I just wasn't paying that close attention to it! Would you mind confirming if it is a strut/coil sprung rear before I get back under? I only ask because I'm actually disabled and it's pretty hard for me to get under these things too many times. Lol
Thanks, I'll definitely get into it. Ed
[/QUOTE
Buster rear coil. Look way up top at the area around the spring perch.
I rotated the tires today, so was able to check that coil and strut as well. Everything looked good! I'm actually getting it pretty dialed in now. Getting new tires in a couple weeks, so I'll get it aligned for real then. I've got to replace an inner tie-rod this weekend though. Thanks for the info though!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts