Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I've been having problems with my Taurus. It's a 3.0L DOHC V6... When I start the car cold after it's been sitting awhile, my car shifts really hard and does some other weird stuff. When driving at speeds up to 55, the RPM's will jump all the way up to 3000 and stay there even if I let off of the accelerator and coast. The RPM needle will bounce back and forth like it's a sensor or something. Then my car will hesitate and buck hard for about 5 miles or so and then everything is fine... I thought maybe it was a torque converter drain back problem but not sure. So far I've replaced the TPS and Crankshaft Position Sensor. I also took it to the dealer and they said it was a whole list of stuff including a Coil Pack and DPFE Sensor. There is NO SES light or anything.

Does anyone think it could be a coil pack or DPFE sensor? Or maybe a shift solenoid? This only happens when the car has been sitting for awhile, and it's only bad for about 5 miles until things get warmed up and such. I hope someone can help me. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Does the engine race at idle or only while cruising? If only while moving this could be a TRS (transmission rage sensor) issue. Sudden gear changes while moving may be indicative of the PCM losing its gear selection signal. If however this behavior occurs without motion I would lean towards an IAC problem. All of these can be checked with a scan tool before buying more parts.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Ive had a Gen3 1998 SE jerk between 1st and 2nd while giving significant throttle or flooring and wouldn't accelerate at all, just sit there hitting the rev limiter until I let off slowly crawled passed 2nd. This would only happen with the O/D light flashing, Id also have problems with downshifting on the highway randomly with no change in throttle or road condition. Ended up being a bad TCS(sometimes called a transmission range sensor and neutral safety switch) If you want to be sure, take it to a shop for a test drive on a computer, this can normally be done

·
Registered
205 Posts
The VSS was fine, the range sensor was dirty inside causing random voltages and digital readings to the PCM.

It looks like that, There are like 3 different versions of this part depending on model year / manufacture date. I had trouble finding the right part due to stores giving me the $20 and $50 version that was analog with wrong pins(causing same problem but constant) The one I needed was $100 (vs. other stores having it at $150) and had to be ordered(go figure.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts