Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello,

I posted a little over a year ago about the same car(username: Methxtra).

I have been having a problems since about March where you have to accelerate to get the car to shift from a stopped position. While driving it seems fine and has no issue. But when you come to a stop at any point during a trip(Stop sign, light, or take a slow corner) you must rev it really hight to get it to take off. Sometimes this would cause the car to slam really hard or dqueel wheels.

Now the other day I can home and I live on a huge heel so I pulled up next to my house and parked which I have not been doing, I have been drving up my street and in one motion back the car onto my side street for parking. So after it was parked maybe 10 minutes went to back up and it went down the hill but when trying to go up a smaller hill it would not go, so I drove back down the street came up same thing, a third time I did this and just pulled in.

Now the car is facing up a small incline not big at all, and I can't get it to go forward, reverse, no neutral either. The engine is fine and it is starting ok.

Now I am getting some cash together but I don't know my next move should be, does this sound like something that is easily fixed or should I say inexpensive, if not what would this type of repair cost depending and what it is. Additionally if I were to get it fixed could I have a reaccuring problem with the transmission(transmission is what it seems like).

Now considering I bought this car in AUG 2007(2800$) It has blown a headgasket replaced 1000$(500$ out of my pocket), a starter 150$, and a huge coolant hose that runs throught the engine around 50$.

I love the car and have put work into it, but is it time to say enough is enough and get another car with different headaches or does anyone recommend fixing this issue and going on my way.

Lastly If I do buy a new used car what would be a good idea for this one since it will not move I don't think I could get trade in value, but with all the work done I don't want to send it to the junk-yard as it doesn't seem smart. I could put it in the paper just it won't perform so how do you move it lol

Any advice/help is greatly appreacited.

Meth

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
QUOTE (Methxtra @ Jun 29 2009, 05:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735867
Hello,

I have been having a problems since about March where you have to accelerate to get the car to shift from a stopped position. While driving it seems fine and has no issue. But when you come to a stop at any point during a trip(Stop sign, light, or take a slow corner) you must rev it really hight to get it to take off. Sometimes this would cause the car to slam really hard or dqueel wheels.

Now the other day I can home and I live on a huge heel so I pulled up next to my house and parked which I have not been doing, I have been drving up my street and in one motion back the car onto my side street for parking. So after it was parked maybe 10 minutes went to back up and it went down the hill but when trying to go up a smaller hill it would not go, so I drove back down the street came up same thing, a third time I did this and just pulled in.

Now the car is facing up a small incline not big at all, and I can't get it to go forward, reverse, no neutral either. The engine is fine and it is starting ok.

Now I am getting some cash together but I don't know my next move should be, does this sound like something that is easily fixed or should I say inexpensive, if not what would this type of repair cost depending and what it is. Additionally if I were to get it fixed could I have a reaccuring problem with the transmission(transmission is what it seems like).

Now considering I bought this car in AUG 2007(2800$) It has blown a headgasket replaced 1000$(500$ out of my pocket), a starter 150$, and a huge coolant hose that runs throught the engine around 50$.

I love the car and have put work into it, but is it time to say enough is enough and get another car with different headaches or does anyone recommend fixing this issue and going on my way.

Lastly If I do buy a new used car what would be a good idea for this one since it will not move I don't think I could get trade in value, but with all the work done I don't want to send it to the junk-yard as it doesn't seem smart. I could put it in the paper just it won't perform so how do you move it lol

Meth[/b]
Not sure myself on the 1st issues; however, the second issue is probably a broken pump shaft -- from the rough starts in 1st gear. They seem to be a common failure point and it just overall sounds like that (no gear engagement). You might search for how to do a pump test, I'm betting that you have pump or pump and shaft failure.

The 1st issue could have been a failing pump, again check the common problems and you'll probably find it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (Jeremiah @ Jun 29 2009, 07:39 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735871
QUOTE (Methxtra @ Jun 29 2009, 05:32 AM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=735867
Hello,

Meth[/b]
Not sure myself on the 1st issues; however, the second issue is probably a broken pump shaft -- from the rough starts in 1st gear. They seem to be a common failure point and it just overall sounds like that (no gear engagement). You might search for how to do a pump test, I'm betting that you have pump or pump and shaft failure.

The 1st issue could have been a failing pump, again check the common problems and you'll probably find it.
[/b][/quote]

I think they are all related issues. It doesn't start rough at all it is fine starting and driving is really smooth and still has power. As I said above the issue now is I parked it and it seems to be on an incline not a huge incline. But before parking it was going forward/reverse/neutral. Now I can't get it to go fwd, rev, or neutral.

If it is the Pump as you suggested what would be an estimated cost to get it fixed.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
429 Posts
MethQUOTE

I think they are all related issues. It doesn't start rough at all it is fine starting and driving is really smooth and still has power. As I said above the issue now is I parked it and it seems to be on an incline not a huge incline. But before parking it was going forward/reverse/neutral. Now I can't get it to go fwd, rev, or neutral.

If it is the Pump as you suggested what would be an estimated cost to get it fixed.

Thanks[/b]
If its the pump and you're taking it to a shop, its going to be at least a few hundred dollars. I know that opening a trans isn't for the faint of heart, but with the instructions I've gotten on this site I was able to pull the valve body off my car and get 4th gear operational and even put it all back together in a weekend. I had a price quote on what I was doing by itself at $500 from a reputable trans shop in the area. I'm not sure about the cost of the pump or shaft, for that I usually check with ebay if I'm not in a hurry or someplace local if I want it now.

Its my first guess on the issue, you could have a different problem altogether. Check solutions for common issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts