Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 98' ford taurus se 3.0 liter v6 and when I stop and put it in park it revs so high i have to turn it off, i've taken it to the dealer and they said it was a sensor so they replaced it and it still over revs i dont know what the problem is so can someone help me.

Thanks a lot for your help,
Will

·
Registered
341 Posts
sounds like a throttle position sensor...and that's probably what the dealer replaced (or said they replaced). outside of that....throttle sticking, maybe? does it only do it in park? how high does it rev?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it has only done it in park and when you try to shift out of park it jumps forward, and it revs to about 5000 then i shut it off before it goes any higher

thanks for the help

P.S. im not trying to get into a political debate but
BUSH/CHENEY '04 :p

·
Premium Member
2,458 Posts
Sure sounds like the TPS. The connectors are as much of a problem as the TPS itself.

Disconnect the negative battery cable and step on the brake pedal (the brake lights will guarantee that the last bit of electricity in the system is discharged and the PCM Keep Alive Memory is erased.) Disconnect the electrical plug on the TPS and make sure the contacts are clean. Reconnect the plug, and then reconnect the negative battery cable. Start the car, see what happens. It should idle at 1100-1500 for a few seconds and then settle down below 1000. Once it settles down, hold the brake and shift the car into D. Once the idle stabilizes, turn the A/C on MAX. Once the idle stabilizes again, return to P or N and allow the car to idle for a few more minutes.

·
Registered
135 Posts
what sixfo says sounds good, but incase it doesn't fix it, i would suggest
testing or replacing the MAF. one time my 99 did that,bbut not that hi,
itr was reving up in park, like vroom-vroom, so a mechanic told me
to change the MAF (mass-air-flo-sensor) it fixed it. it cost me $110
at NAPA. good luck
HC Dave

·
Registered
550 Posts
Sounds more like an IAC (Idle Air Control) valve problem to me. Try unpluggin' it when this happens... also, try starting the car w/out it plugged in. I've seen this EXACT concern a few times at the Dealer I work at. No repair other than replacement. If it's bad, be sure to clean the IAC passages, & T-Body when you replace it! Good Luck!!!

Kevin(ASE/FORD Master Certified Tech.)

B)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts