Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just fixed my 1998 Ford Taurus SE- Had to replace the Pump Shaft for the Trans. Now, while test dirving her to make sure gears shifted smoothly, I noticed their is some "flutering" with the car. It happens randomly. Happens while in Drive/ Over-Drive/ Park. She will feel like she wants to accelrate for about half a second to a second then return to normal. This happen for about 30-45 seconds then she will clear out for about 2-3 min then right back to the flutering. It will stop if I step into her kinda to clear her throat. I believe this may have a direct connection with the IAC Valve or maybe a small vaccum leak. Any thoughts would be greatly appricated.

1998 Ford Taurus SE- 3.0L- AX4N Trans. Also, what would be the best way to clean the IAC? What could pottentially happen if the problem is not addresses ASAP? Thanks again for everything and I look forward to a solution.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just fixed my 1998 Ford Taurus SE- Had to replace the Pump Shaft for the Trans. Now, while test dirving her to make sure gears shifted smoothly, I noticed their is some "flutering" with the car. It happens randomly. Happens while in Drive/ Over-Drive/ Park. She will feel like she wants to accelrate for about half a second to a second then return to normal. This happen for about 30-45 seconds then she will clear out for about 2-3 min then right back to the flutering. It will stop if I step into her kinda to clear her throat. I believe this may have a direct connection with the IAC Valve or maybe a small vaccum leak. Any thoughts would be greatly appricated.

1998 Ford Taurus SE- 3.0L- AX4N Trans. Also, what would be the best way to clean the IAC? What could pottentially happen if the problem is not addresses ASAP? Thanks again for everything and I look forward to a solution.
By fluttering speed do you mean just RPM ramping up and down or the car is physically moving faster then slower?

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly feels like the RPM's. However, the whole car feels like the RPM's are trying to push it and then back off. I can watch the RPM guage jump ever so slighly maybe 25-50 RPM's if that. I mean but the actual speed does incrase/decrease. As long as I keep my foot constant, the speed will stay the same, it's just feels like RPM's

·
Registered
22 Posts
Mostly feels like the RPM's. However, the whole car feels like the RPM's are trying to push it and then back off. I can watch the RPM guage jump ever so slighly maybe 25-50 RPM's if that. I mean but the actual speed does incrase/decrease. As long as I keep my foot constant, the speed will stay the same, it's just feels like RPM's
On my Cougar with o/d it used to do that until I did a fluid flush.
It was o/d engaging and disengaging randomly.
It could be a loose vacuum line in your case.
Not sure if a bad TPS could cause that.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Shouldn't be Trans. Fluid or anything like that. Just put in 12 Quarts of Malchum 5 Tranny Fluid as well as Tranny In A Can (To Keep Seal's in good condition)- Everything that I've seen is it could be the a Vaccum Leak going to the Manifold. Now it;s just a matter of figuring out which hose is the culprit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts