Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A mechanic friend change the plugs today in the parking lot at AdvanceAuto (the auto shop wanted $350!). The only choices the store had were the old style plugs, Bosch Platinum +2s and the +4s. I knew the +4s were bad news so I went with the +2s. I hope these last. Anyone had experience with them?

·
Registered
670 Posts
Actually you bought the wrong plugs. I have used all of those in my Vulcan, the Bosch single, +2, and +4 and i have had issues.

The Autolite platinums are what you want.

The only Bosch plugs i can recommend are what i am running now, which are the IR Fusion plugs.

Usually you want to make a thread before you buy a product. Hope they work out for you.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
I have used Bosch +2 Platinums in a G3 Vulcan with no problems at all.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
While some people seem to have no problems with Bosch plugs in Fords, LOTS of people have had missfire problems with them, including me. The best plugs for your engine are the factory recommended plugs.

·
Registered
670 Posts
I had some misfire issues with the specific plugs the OP has in my Vulcan engine, plus what i hear from everyone else.

If i ever have to change my plugs again, i will be using Autolite. I would be surprised to see 200,000k out of my stock tranny though.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I have used Bosch plugs, just the regular platinums in several vehicles, and had problems with all of them. Bosch would be a good plug for a VW, but not a Ford.

·
Registered
670 Posts
There is no knock sensors in most of the Vulcans, so if your using Bosch plugs and getting knock problems you wouldn't even know.

Best to stick with Autolite which have proven themselves in the 3.0s over the years.

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
If there IS a knock sensor, PCM would pull timing before you would ever hear the onset of detonation. WITHOUT a knock sensor, you WILL hear detonation, assuming you know what to listen for and you dont have the audio system up too loud.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I use regular autolite platinums, there's no point in spending extra on the +2, +3, etc, as the ignition is electronically controlled. Sure the commercials make the plug look good, but the computer will just tone that power down automatically.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts