Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok so here goes I didn't see any post for this but I am new so I am sorry if this has came up before...

Battery light came on 2 weeks ago everything went dead.. Had alternator fixed by dealership.. Ran great for a few days now it wont start unless I pump it or hold it to the floor.. runs rough as heck stumbling and I have to keep my foot on the pedal to keep it running or it will stall out again..Now, It is smoking a little but ONLY smells like rich gas no "sweet smell".. Checked radiator and oil so I don't think it's a head gasket issue...Cams are Welded and drove perfect until a few days ago.. can here is sucking air and wanting to run just running very lean.. Can anyone help me out here??? Thank you BTW when I have the RPM's up and running there is no motor noise as far as ticks or grinding so I am sure its not cam,valve,crank things like that.. Hooked a obd II scan tool to it no codes..:unsure:

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
Sounds to me like a rather large vacuum leak. Happy hunting.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
looked for vacuum leaks but non are present that i can see I will search more into it.. With no codes to be read it seems crazy that it would be a sensor but I was thinking air MAF or IAC could a temp sensor do this??? will it make it run rough and smell like gas from the exhaust??? I am lost :unsure:

·
Registered
138 Posts
looked for vacuum leaks but non are present that i can see I will search more into it.. With no codes to be read it seems crazy that it would be a sensor but I was thinking air MAF or IAC could a temp sensor do this??? will it make it run rough and smell like gas from the exhaust??? I am lost :unsure:
If the MAF is contaminated badly enough, the computer will think there is a LOT more air going into the engine than really is and dump a bunch of extra fuel. Unplugging the MAF will make the computer fall back to other means and usually run better if other sensors are ok. Doing this will set off a CEL though.

From what i've seen, some chevrolet engines need the coolant temp sensor to start properly when cold. Not sure about others.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
so this would not be a catastrophic issue? Such as bad cam or anything? I mean you have to keep the RPMs around 2k to keep it running but WILL NOT idle at all (dies right out) and like stated it was cold out so it was smoking but ONLY smelled like gas no sugar smell,bubble ect. I just can't believe how rough it is running it was so smooth a few days ago..

·
Registered
138 Posts
so this would not be a catastrophic issue? Such as bad cam or anything? I mean you have to keep the RPMs around 2k to keep it running but WILL NOT idle at all (dies right out) and like stated it was cold out so it was smoking but ONLY smelled like gas no sugar smell,bubble ect. I just can't believe how rough it is running it was so smooth a few days ago..
To be honest, can't really say for sure without seeing the car in person. Would be a good idea to have someone look at it before driving it around any more.

·
Registered
2,425 Posts
now it wont start unless I pump it or hold it to the floor.. runs rough as heck stumbling and I have to keep my foot on the pedal to keep it running or it will stall out again..
If it runs good at high rpm (over 1500) looks like you have a problem with the IAC Valve. Easy to replace. You can try cleaning it first - didn't work for me.

·
Super Moderator
8,732 Posts
^^^^^ I doubt it is an IAC problem.

And WJC is correct, contaminated MAF will result in running lean, which the car obviously isnt.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts