Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my girlfriend's car had a cracked head. I replaced it and put all new gaskets in. Left the other head alone. IT still is blowing out steam. Car actually runs a lot better. I pulled all the plugs none of them seem to be damp. The oil is clean and clear. Coolant bottle seems to be holding coolant. I'll know for sure when I go out in the morning. What would the possibility of both heads being cracked? Or maybe one cracked and one blown head gasket? I've already had this thing apart and together twice now. Not looking forward to a third time. But I think I could do that rear head gasket in a day now.

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas that I may not have thought about. I really don't want to take the back head off. Bolts and gaskets are starting to add up. Anyway for me to be sure which head is leaking? Or possibly even figure out if it is a head related leak?

·
Registered
48 Posts
So my girlfriend's car had a cracked head. I replaced it and put all new gaskets in. Left the other head alone. IT still is blowing out steam. Car actually runs a lot better. I pulled all the plugs none of them seem to be damp. The oil is clean and clear. Coolant bottle seems to be holding coolant. I'll know for sure when I go out in the morning. What would the possibility of both heads being cracked? Or maybe one cracked and one blown head gasket? I've already had this thing apart and together twice now. Not looking forward to a third time. But I think I could do that rear head gasket in a day now.

Anyway, I'm looking for ideas that I may not have thought about. I really don't want to take the back head off. Bolts and gaskets are starting to add up. Anyway for me to be sure which head is leaking? Or possibly even figure out if it is a head related leak?
[/b]

Hello There,

Are you sure there is still a leak? Could it be from residue coolant from the changing of the head? No matter how much you try to drain or remove coolant from an engine in order to do a big repiar job, coolant still hangs around somewhere.

That said. If it had be me (this is just my opinion) I would have removed both heads and had them both inspected (there are shops that do this for a cheap price) or replaced the second head. I would also have checked the intake manifold for damage and regasketed it while you had the heads removed as heat would have affected both heads and manifolds.

Good luck and I hope it ends well for you regarding this car

Cheers

L

1 - 2 of 2 Posts