Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been having some overheating problems with my 1997 Taurus and have noticed some noise coming from the water pump area. A couple nights ago, on the highway coming home, I noticed the temp gauge rising but it never went into the red. I drove to the nearest lighted area (about 7 miles) and added water to the overfill tank. The temp gauge went down to normal.

Next, I drove the rest of the way home, another 7-10 miles. When I pulled into my driveway and turned off the car, there was steam coming from under the hood but the temp gauge still showed normal. I got out my flashlight and saw water and steam gushing from a small hole near the top of the water pump housing, and it kept gushing until I removed the pressure cap on the overfill tank, which was almost empty again.

My question is, is the small hole near the top of the water pump the 'weep hole'? Was water gushing from it because the gasket blew, thus releasing the pressure to save the heads from damage? Is it likely that replacing the water pump will resolve the problem, along with flushing the system and checking other areas for leaks? I know I also have a leak at the coupling of one of the transmission cooling lines which I will also fix. The car has been parked since that night and I'm crossing my fingers that no further damage was done by driving it home but I've checked for the normal damaged head symptoms and really haven't seen any of them..

·
Premium Member
5,895 Posts
The weep hole is there to try and prevent coolant from getting to the bearings of the pump. The seal is done and the pump needs replaced if you have coolant coming out from it. If the temp gauge never went into the red you're fine. Just get a new pump installed and you're good to go.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the input, intimidator. I'll get a new pump, repair the trany coolant line leak and flush the system. Hopefully, everything will turn out good. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts