Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentleman,

I'm trying to bring my mom's 1997 Taurus back to top shape. She has the car since new and she doesn't drive anymore, so I'm charge of it.

Apparently there's something missing on the top of the battery cover, some sort of extra cover for the battery caps, but the parts catalog doesn't show what it is.

Please see the pics attached. Does anyone know what's missing?

Thanks,

Rafael, from Brazil

Attachments

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Gentleman,

I'm trying to bring my mom's 1997 Taurus back to top shape. She has the car since new and she doesn't drive anymore, so I'm charge of it.

Apparently there's something missing on the top of the battery cover, some sort of extra cover for the battery caps, but the parts catalog doesn't show what it is.

Please see the pics attached. Does anyone know what's missing?

Thanks,

Rafael, from Brazil
The cover prevents what is shown in the pic. The throttle & cruise can rub the battery and makes for bad fix, likely why this car in the JY went to the JY.
Many shops just throw them away. My last 2 used bulls did not have them. With the G-4.5 Ford re-located the cables over the intake to keep them away from the battery.
I was able to get one from the JY but none available since most long gone.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The cover prevents what is shown in the pic. The throttle & cruise can rub the battery and makes for bad fix, likely why this car in the JY went to the JY.
Many shops just throw them away. My last 2 used bulls did not have them. With the G-4.5 Ford re-located the cables over the intake to keep them away from the battery.
I was able to get one from the JY but none available since most long gone.
-chart-
Thanks for the info. So there’s nothing missing, and that’s good news, one less problem.

There’s one cover on eBay:

·
Registered
11,770 Posts
Thanks for the info. So there’s nothing missing, and that’s good news, one less problem.

There’s one cover on eBay:

If your throttle cables rub the battery, maybe there is a cheaper solution. If not, non issue.
My '03 Sable wagon DOHC has the cables right against the battery. I got a cover at the JY. If they thought there was an issue with safety, they would have made a real cover over all of it.
Pic of my Buick battery, under the rear seat. Battery vent is sealed and vents through a hose through the floor pan. So the acid fumes are away from the battery and the robust cable clamps do not corrode. Battery is more expensive but lasts longer because it is away from heat and vibration, killers of battery. My '04 Sable wagon had the ground cable corrode through and would not start while at the gas station with my daughter. I jumpered it and got it home. Corrosion hidden behind the covering so out so sight.
-chart-

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your throttle cables rub the battery, maybe there is a cheaper solution. If not, non issue.
My '03 Sable wagon DOHC has the cables right against the battery. I got a cover at the JY. If they thought there was an issue with safety, they would have made a real cover over all of it.
Pic of my Buick battery, under the rear seat. Battery vent is sealed and vents through a hose through the floor pan. So the acid fumes are away from the battery and the robust cable clamps do not corrode. Battery is more expensive but lasts longer because it is away from heat and vibration, killers of battery. My '04 Sable wagon had the ground cable corrode through and would not start while at the gas station with my daughter. I jumpered it and got it home. Corrosion hidden behind the covering so out so sight.
-chart-
Thanks for the input, but I’m only concerned about the cosmetics, the car runs just fine. I’m just trying to make it look as good and right as possible, I’m keeping it as a souvenir of a period of my life that is gone.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Here is a battery cover I found at the JY in a '96 Taurus. Although the top half of the cover between where the battery terminals poke thru is a little different, I would assume the cap for the opening you're looking for would be the same since it's of the same generation. No Ford part number molded into the bottom of the cap...just the Ford loge. I grabbed it in case you wanted it. LMK
Wood Musical instrument accessory Font Gas Wood stain

Wood Electronic device Font Audio equipment Gas

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here is a battery cover I found at the JY in a '96 Taurus. Although the top half of the cover between where the battery terminals poke thru is a little different, I would assume the cap for the opening you're looking for would be the same since it's of the same generation. No Ford part number molded into the bottom of the cap...just the Ford loge. I grabbed it in case you wanted it. LMK View attachment 221363

View attachment 221362
I definitely want it, that’s very kind of you, many thanks! Please let me know how much you want for it. I’ll ask you to ship to an address in FL, and it will be forwarded to me. Thanks again!

·
Registered
437 Posts
Do you want the entire battery cover shown? Or, just that removable cover? Here's the deal...I paid $12.52 (including tax) for the whole thing (that's the only way they would sell it). That's all I ask from you; PLUS SHIPPING to FL. I'll need a zip code to figure that cost. The other thing is I can only accept Paypal. Lastly, I am leaving on a 2-wk road trip this Thursday and, unless I hear back by early Wed, I will not be able to ship until I return home. You can start a private conversation by clicking on the green "M" above my Username and we can work out the details. LMK. Thanks.

Steve in MN

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Do you want the entire battery cover shown? Or, just that removable cover? Here's the deal...I paid $12.52 (including tax) for the whole thing (that's the only way they would sell it). That's all I ask from you; PLUS SHIPPING to FL. I'll need a zip code to figure that cost. The other thing is I can only accept Paypal. Lastly, I am leaving on a 2-wk road trip this Thursday and, unless I hear back by early Wed, I will not be able to ship until I return home. You can start a private conversation by clicking on the green "M" above my Username and we can work out the details. LMK. Thanks.

Steve in MN
No problem at all. Just give me your PayPal address and I’ll send you the $12.52 plus an amount that will be more than enough to cover shipping costs and PayPal fees.
I need the small rectangular cap only.
Thanks!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts