Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 97 SHO has a temperamental tranny. Some days, it works beautifully. We replaced the VSS and Transmission Position Sensor switch, but some days I need to drive it like a manual running from 1, D and OD, or the motor seems to spin and the car barely moves. At first I thought it was trying to start rolling in the wrong gear, but I do not believe that is the case. My mechanic friend hooked it up to a computer and the transmission seems to be doing what it is told, we are just not sure why it periodically misbehaves. Torque converter? Thoughts? TIA!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey Sheila,

I sent Eric an email a while back and haven't heard back. The VSS is F1DZ-7M101-A. My brother in law had the car for some years, and he had the transmission freshened up, and now it eats through these sensors about every year with minimal driving on it. We thought about ABS module, and will check it out soon. Anybody try a repair service on the ABS modules?

T

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
Hi Todd -
The V8 SHO tranny does not have a VSS. There is a little blocking plate over the hole in the transmission body.

Sheila is correct. The ABS controls the speed signal. If it goes bad it can wreak havoc on the transmission behavior.

Is your ABS working? Easy test - find a gravel road and go about 15 mph and hit the brakes in a spirited manner. You should feel the ABS 'grinding' as it pulses the brake pedal during actuation.

If you already have an ABS light on the dash, don't bother.

Does your speedo display correctly?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Eric,

My bad, I think it is the Turbine Shaft Speed sensor, or F1DZ-7M101-A. I was getting the P0715 Input/Turbine Speed fault code, and the tranny eats these sensors up every year. After we changed the TSS, the code went away. Prior to the TSS replacement, the speedo was jumping all over the place and the tranny worked well intermittently. After we changed it out, the tranny seemed fine at first, but then the intermittent gremlins came back, but the speedo doesn't jump around when the car is standing.

When we hooked the car up to a computer, even when the speedo seems fine, the computer thought the car was moving and the speed was like between 0 and 25 MPH, and erratic. So we planned on checking out the ABS module, but it has been hot here in CA so we will get to that soon. I have no idea where to find a replacement anyways. I see some places that claim to fix it, but do you have a vendor you recommend?

And I think I have a leaky injector since the LTFT on one side is hitting that magical 20% value.

Hope you are well. It has been a while!

·
Registered
50 Posts
You may want to check to see if you are using the correct TSS sensor. The AX4S sensor is different from the one used in the AX4N. They will both install, and plug in, so beware. You'd be surprised how many parts people think they are the same trans.

Read this bulletin from Sonnax. No point in me going over all the points.

Lot's of interesting reading on that site.

Don

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So we replaced the TSS today with the Ford part from above article, the F5DZ-7M101-A. There was a NAPA sourced part in the transmission, but when we pulled it out, the length seemed correct, and there was no damage to it. We believe this new one is working correctly as well, although the car still thinks it is moving when it is at rest. My friend is a Ford Tech and we connected the car to a scan tool. The TSS registers engine RPM in neutral and park at rest, and will show a different RPM when in gear (it was at 0 RPM when the vehicle was at rest, but showed engine speed when driving). He is going to confirm with a driveability friend, but he thinks that is correct. Unfortunately, the vehicle speed fluctuates from 0 to 25 mph, and the car is trying to command the right gear to be in it seems based on that speed, which is why the car is trying to roll from a start sometimes in second gear. Any thoughts on what is causing the car to think it is moving? How is the speed calculated in the computer? Unfortunately the ABS module is completely dead, and we cannot communicate with it or the wheel ABS sensors. I don't mind not having ABS, but I sure would like the transmission to work correctly. Any thoughts?

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
I'm not an ABS expert by any stretch of the imagination, and I have seen them do some crazy a$$ed sh!t to V8 SHO's over the years including stone cold dead.
If I recall, the speedo stayed at zero when the ABS was totally burnt up inside.

What happens to the car if you completely unplug the ABS and try to drive it? Does the speedo move? Does the trans shift? Do any symptoms change?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts