Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am speaking on behalf of My dad's 97 SHO. Once or twice a week if he is stopped at a light or for a decent amout of time while idling in drive, the car will start to miss and then die. If you try to put it in park and turn it on again it will start right back up but will die if you try to go back into drive. If he lets it sit for a minute it will usually start to work again and then he will be on his way. I KNOW that this generation has the bad cams, and that they need to be welded or they will fail. Is this a sign of the cams failing? Oh and the car has 125,000 miles on it.

Thanks alot,

Nick

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
If the cams aren't welded then you are just waiting for them to fail. But this sounds like a bad coil situation or a bad crank sensor.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello,

Paul is right. Get the cams welded ASAP. Every time anyone drives the car they are taking a chance.

Does it have a check engine light CEL on? If so, get the codes read. Depending on what state you live in AutoZone, Advanced Auto etc, will read codes for free,

The CPS is on the front of the engine bottom drivers side. One bolt holds it on. There is also one wire to disconnect and reconnect. It is a $15 part. The front coils are easy to change. The rear coils are a lot more work. Coils are more costly and can be had new from around $80 to $125+ each. V8Sho will help you with how to change the CPS or coils. If it is a back coil you may want to have it done when the cams are welded (ASAP). If the back ones are originals you may want to replace them all as preventative maintenance. (Assuming that you are planning to keep the car) Good Luck. -- SJP

·
Premium Member
14,126 Posts
Screw V8 SHO.com, to much disinformation.

The correct info is here on TCCA.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
CPS won't do that - it only causes long cranking during starting, then the engine goes to the CKS.
A CKS wire that has found its way into the accessory belt can cause this type of problem. Are you giving it any gas when it dies? It could be just the IAC sticking on you too?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts