Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1997 Sable - Radiator Replacement Duratec Engine
======================================

Can anybody recommend a good OEM replacement radiator or something that may be better (SHO variation)? I've searched the forum but this appears to be a never ending task. My current radiator is approaching 200K miles and I think its time to stuff a new one in there. Note: I'm running a B&M super cooler on the tranmission (it's the big one).

I would like to get a radiator that has more fins per inch and holds more coolant if possible. Thanks.

Monsoon

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I recommend Performance Radiator. I choose that on mine, basically for the same reasons. It has slightly more fins and a slightly greater capacity. As the name implies, they specialize in more performance oriented radiators.

·
Premium Member
1,018 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I recommend Performance Radiator. I choose that on mine, basically for the same reasons. It has slightly more fins and a slightly greater capacity. As the name implies, they specialize in more performance oriented radiators.
4-DEC-2010
Thanks for the recommendation. I stuffed a Performance Radiator in last night, item 1830 (Performance Radiator), cost $116 + tax. This job really sucks. It took me about 6-hours for replacement. Make sure you have 20" of clearance between the car and floor, radiator is about 17" tall. Removal is from the bottom of the car, I used jack stands on the sub-frame

This is pretty much a straight forward job with the following exceptions:
* 3/8" quick disconnect tool is required to remove transmission oil lines
* Upper mounting bolts are somewhat tricky to find, access with 1" hole near the headlight lamps

A few observations from my OEM radiator. 1st it was really nasty and dirty. I think about 2lbs of sand was removed with the radiator. Clean-up was done often to keep may sanity while doing the job.

The Performance Radiator looks like OEM with about the same fins per inch.

Symptoms of my cooling system....
Performance of my cooling system was deteriorating slowly with the temp gauge creeping near the half way mark, during winter temps. Normally the temp gauge is at about the 1/3 mark or just above it. No cause for an alarm yet until I found coolant leaking in the garage, small puddle. After inspecting the coolant reservoir for cracks/leaks, none found. I remove the splash shield from underneath the car and there it was dead center on the splash shield, a small trail of coolant.

With the new radiator in coolant temps are back to normal. :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts