Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are other threads about this that I've read.

Most of them point to the air pump as the culprit.

Whatever the case, welcome to my story!

This car has had the SES light on since it was given to me. I received that and a stack of papers of dealership work that made the car cost about $60,000 since it was bought new. No joke.

Within this stack of paperwork, I have a slip of paper saying that the Air Pump was replaced at 84K. Car was given to me with 89K and now has 120K. It's worth noting that I've found areas on the car that the dealership "replaced" that had never been touched. They knew that the previous owners didn't know much about the vehicle.

I replaced the first (nearest in line) O2 sensor. Light went off for a time, came back a week later. It's gone off other times inexplicably and then come right back on again to stay for several months. I haven't done much else.

I read the code again today just for verification. Same P0411 code. Then I ran a KOER test. It came back with the P0411 code and some code about O2 sensors not getting up to temperature and thus not being tested. I ran the scan again and it lost whatever code it was and hasn't come back since. I'll try again later.

I see people point to the IAC as a possible issue as well, but I want to verify the air pump.

I see the air pump, it's under the battery, under the cover, and under something that looks like it has to do with braking (maybe some electronic ABS thing? I'm unsure). It looks as though I'd need to drop the subframe in order to get the thing out. Am I right about this or is there an easier way to do it?

I have a Mity Vac that I can test vacuum with, but I really don't want to drop off parts that don't need to be dropped.

I appreciate any feedback and I'll make sure to update this thread with work done and any successes or failures in order to help future frustrated humans!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Dear Moderator(s): Could someone possibly move this into maintenance and repair? I didn't intend to post this under the general discussion portion!

Thank you!

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
After reading about Taurus (on this site and others) with this issue, this isn't related to an air pump as the generic 411 code suggests.
It's related to the IAC and high idle speed that can't be brought into range by the PCM. Vacuum leaks could cause this, or a sticky/dirty throttle body and/or IAC.
I believe the pump below the battery is for evaporative emission control.

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Which engine do you have?
Vulcan: OHV with iron block and aluminum intake that looks like a six fingered hand.
Duratec: DOHC with aluminum block.
The reference above is to an SHO engine. I don't think they were used in wagons. it say Super High Output on it and body parts of the car.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey where IS the IAC located on this? And I do hear a high pitched noise when idling/driving...

·
Administrator
14,947 Posts
Hey where IS the IAC located on this? And I do hear a high pitched noise when idling/driving...
Are you sure that whine isn't you raggin on your ride? That would have been a good piece of info to have up front, bro. Start tracking it down and here's an IAC pic although it 'sounds' like you know where to start.:D

·
Registered
22,587 Posts
P0411= secondary air injection system incorrect flow detected. Code is referencing the thermactor (air pump) system. Air pumps were used on California (only) Vulcans, no Duratecs. Dunno if on all gen3 SHOs.

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
All the V8s got the air pump even though my car is classified as a Federal Emission car.

Mine throws P0411 everyday. The XCAL Tune got rid of that issue ;)

·
Registered
1,006 Posts
Re: Engine type, please put that in your profile for future posts. It's easier to glance to the left than read the tread tittle.
Code 411 is confusing when secondary air is referring to bypassed air from the IAC in a few treads I found on Vulcan and Duratec engines, or air injection, with SHO V-8's.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Vehicle is a vulcan and it's a NY car built in Georgia. Not sure why the hell it has the airpump but whatever. It lived downstate for the majority of its life before it decided to come rot away in the Syracuse region.

I'm still confused as to the issue-I mean, I can pull vacuum on the air pump but I don't want to drop the subframe and, this, I guess I don't really want to take the air pump out unless there is an easier way.

Really, I don't want to deal with any of this :)

·
Registered
22,587 Posts
May do a google custom search up top for p0411 and/or consult the topic finder. Iirc, there have been several past threads concerning this code.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey Sheila-I've been experiencing this for a while and have gone through several of the threads. Common thought is that this was only on Cali cars (which doesn't seem to be the case) and a lot of them provide further questions as opposed to more concrete answers. I'll keep looking, but again, nothing has been very promising so far.

And 4 wheel-I did that for you, but come on my friend-glace UP, it's on the same page :)

·
Premium Member
17,415 Posts
California emission Vulcans had an additional air pump. These cars were sold not just in Cali, but could be ordered all over the US so you could have 50 state new car registration.

I wonder if the stupid expensive relay on the pump is failing?

·
Super Moderator
7,836 Posts
^^^^ the stupid and expensive solid state relay failing would be my guess.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts