Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1997 mercury sable dohc need new battery cables or cable battery ends sugestion

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  mustang dude 
#1 ·
i have a 36R car battery in my sable,, i put new battery cable ends on my new motorcraft battery the positive post fits fine and tight but the neg battery post its little smaller and still loose after tighting the neg battery post,, recommend differnt battery posts,, or a new motorcraft pos battery cable which i cant find,, they do sell the motorcraft neg battery cable

#3 ·
Cable ends that attach to the existing cable is asking for trouble down the road. Get new cables. Most parts stores have batt cables for well under the price of the official Ford cables that can be made to work easily.

Reactions: ice445
#4 ·
Cable ends that attach to the existing cable is asking for trouble down the road. Get new cables. Most parts stores have bat cables for well under the price of the official Ford cables that can be made to work easily.
shucks orileys sells ac delco both battery cables for my sable look like the motocraft ones, i think iam going to buy them

#5 ·
Good choice!

#6 · (Edited)
[QUOTE="Jeff K, i found the first picture on amazon it splices the battery wire,,and i called the ford dealer they told me both battery cables are hooked to geather in a loom,, thats not true i just saw my neg battey cable hooked to bolt on the starter , and my positive battery cable on the starter selinoid i think ,, wow just have to take a shileld off below the car to acsess both battery cables ,, unbolt from the motor,, my shop wants 150 labor for both cables 1 hour and half labor which i cant under stand why so much money ,, 200 for the battery cables my shop wants 200 dollars over priced, i can buy them for 29.99 each for neg and positive

Attachments

#10 ·
The negative post is always smaller, this since the beginning of car batteries. The neg cable end will have to be forced on the larger post, and the positive will not clamp the smaller post. It takes a lot of abusive work to put one on backwards. The entire cable system is subject to fails on the Bulls. Pic is of a clean no corrosion cable on the bench. I am putting 16 Amps through the cable. The volt loss at the crimp is 7X the loss in the wire length itself. I soldered this end myself and then it was 0.4 MA. Car will still run with this loss but that makes heat in the crimp, heat then makes the connection get worse. Volt losses outside the design makes for under charge/over charge, alt damage, and other bad running such as bad idle.
I have made a fair share of JY trips. Finding any cables that are not trashed is RARE. Tells me one reason non wrecks go to the JY, bad maintenance.
-chart-

Attachments

#11 · (Edited)
The negative post is always smaller, this since the beginning of car batteries. The neg cable end will have to be forced on the larger post, and the positive will not clamp the smaller post. It takes a lot of abusive work to put one on backwards. The entire cable system is subject to fails on the Bulls. Pic is of a clean no corrosion cable on the bench. I am putting 16 Amps through the cable. The volt loss at the crimp is 7X the loss in the wire length itself. I soldered this end myself and then it was 0.4 MA. Car will still run with this loss but that makes heat in the crimp, heat then makes the connection get worse. Volt losses outside the design makes for under charge/over charge, alt damage, and other bad running such as bad idle.
I have made a fair share of JY trips. Finding any cables that are not trashed is RARE. Tells me one reason non wrecks go to the JY, bad maintenance.
-chart-

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.