Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1997 Ford Taurus. It has been stalling when I accelerate for about 3 weeks. Lets say I'm driving at 40mph, I will gas it, the car will choke, cough and just not go. Its as if its out of gas. Now, if I turn the car off and immediately back on, it will go again, no problem for another 5 minutes..then repeat. It starts up, no problem. Yesterday, I drove about 10 minutes down the road and noticed a burning smell. It smelled just like a space heater (when you first turn your space heater on for the winter). I popped the hood and saw a small amount of white smoke..not a WHOLE lot, but enough to make me qworry. This is my only car and my only way to work. I am still driving it but it smokes/smell/stalls even if I drive only 5 minutes down the road. It failed emission last week. My hubby replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, cat converter and O2 sensors...any ideas?? Should I just junk it and start fresh with a car that works? I really can't afford a mechanic..which is why my hubby has been doing what he can with it.

Thanks, yall!

Jess

·
Registered
93 Posts
sounds like a blown head gasket
signs of a bad head gasket are coolant in the oil, check your oil for white or gray substances, white smoke coming out of the exhaust, sweet smelling exhaust, overheating

·
Registered
93 Posts
well then I suggest that the heads be removed and replace the gaskets

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 1997 Ford Taurus. It has been stalling when I accelerate for about 3 weeks. Lets say I'm driving at 40mph, I will gas it, the car will choke, cough and just not go. Its as if its out of gas. Now, if I turn the car off and immediately back on, it will go again, no problem for another 5 minutes..then repeat. It starts up, no problem. Yesterday, I drove about 10 minutes down the road and noticed a burning smell. It smelled just like a space heater (when you first turn your space heater on for the winter). I popped the hood and saw a small amount of white smoke..not a WHOLE lot, but enough to make me qworry. This is my only car and my only way to work. I am still driving it but it smokes/smell/stalls even if I drive only 5 minutes down the road. It failed emission last week. My hubby replaced the fuel filter, spark plugs, cat converter and O2 sensors...any ideas?? Should I just junk it and start fresh with a car that works? I really can't afford a mechanic..which is why my hubby has been doing what he can with it.

Thanks, yall!

Jess
i had same problem, replace all egr sensor, use 5w30 motor oil and it fine now. you also might need a new cat converter.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts