Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 1997 Ford Taurus LX and Im having problems w/ the hot/cold setting.

I can turn the blend knob and it just "clicks"
I've crawled under the dash, and if I have someone manually turn the knob and I press up on the metal rod, it will stay in a few places. There just seems to be a plastic peg on an plastic arm that has a spring attached. The plastic arm goes into the blend door housing I think. The metal arm is attached to the adjuster motor.

Is something broken or missing?

I got under there today to move it from cold to warm so I would have heat in the car for the kids.

This gets very frustrating and would like a fix please

I did a search and found nothing that applies to my problem.

·
Registered
25 Posts

I've crawled under the dash, and if I have someone manually turn the knob and I press up on the metal rod, it will stay in a few places. There just seems to be a plastic peg on an plastic arm that has a spring attached. The plastic arm goes into the blend door housing I think. The metal arm is attached to the adjuster motor.

I got under there today to move it from cold to warm so I would have heat in the car for the kids.

[/b]
It is probably the blend door motor, i keep those in stock if you need one for $38.45. PM me if you need one.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
<div class='quotemain'>

[/b]
It is probably the blend door motor, i keep those in stock if you need one for $38.45. PM me if you need one.
[/b][/quote]

The motor actually works, it just doesn't "drag" the metal arm with it.

if i give the arm a bit of "assistance" it will move, and if I dont move it manually it just "clicks" and doesn't move anything.

I don't mind buying the motor, just want to make sure that's what it is first.

Would the motor still move like it does it if it bad?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Anyone else think this is the problem?
I like to get a couple opinions on things before I just start throwing money at it.

·
Premium Member
838 Posts
The reason no one has replied is the other guy just told you the problem, and you are asking for more opinions. Trust us, it's the blend door motor. My friend's did the SAME thing, and it was the motor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The reason no one has replied is the other guy just told you the problem, and you are asking for more opinions. Trust us, it's the blend door motor. My friend's did the SAME thing, and it was the motor.
[/b]
No offense, but to me it looked like a "hey I can sell you a part thing"

So I asked for more opinions. I also found by searching this site how to repair it for free..

I don't tend to buy from someone I just met on a board, so I wanted opinions on how to fix it, and if others thought it was the same problem.

I appreciate the help, and think its the motor now myself, but wanted opinions

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

So I asked for more opinions. I also found by searching this site how to repair it for free..

I don't tend to buy from someone I just met on a board, so I wanted opinions on how to fix it, and if others thought it was the same problem.

[/b][/quote]

I have removed my motor from the car.

With it plugged up but not bolted in place, the arm turns when you turn the heater control from hot to cold.
So this tells me the motor is working.
I have found this repair and wondering what you guys think...

http://www.blenddoorfix.netfirms.com/

Only thing I see different is the shape of the arm

:::EDIT:::
Took the motor apart, it is missing 2 teeth so you guys were correct.

Either way, what do you guys think of that repair for the actual door if it goes bad?

·
Registered
4 Posts
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

With it plugged up but not bolted in place, the arm turns when you turn the heater control from hot to cold.

Either way, what do you guys think of that repair for the actual door if it goes bad?
[/b][/quote]
The heat stopped working in my 1998 Taurus around Christmas Day (2008). I've tolerated it but now that the outside temperature is at a 6 year low (daytime high of 22 degrees), it's unbearable especially since I can't defrost the outside AND inside of the windshield.
The symptoms are:
-Turning up the fan control just blows colder air faster.
-The engine temperature gauge doesn't show the engine overheating. The needle still goes to the same place (half way up).
-The engine coolant is full.
-There's no leaking of coolant in or under the car.

Those facts seem to point to a broken blend door or actuator.
:dunno:
I found this possible solution... http://www.heatertreater.net/Ford%20Taurus%2096-07.htm
For $120, my problem could be solved but their suggestion of using a Dremel tool to cut thru the plastic to get to the heater core to replace the blend door seems a bit extreme if that's not the problem.
Here's what they say about the problem and their solution..
http://www.heatertreater.net/Final%20Tech%20info.htm
I asked Advance Auto Parts of a solution, they said they have the blend door fix for $50 and had to order it.
AutoZone said they don't have a blend door fix unless it's just a broken actuator and then it's just $20.

I'm hoping for a warmer and dry clear day to pull out the glovebox and get a better idea of what the problem is.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
<div class='quotemain'>
[/b]

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
The heat stopped working in my 1998 Taurus around Christmas Day (2008). I've tolerated it but now that the outside temperature is at a 6 year low (daytime high of 22 degrees), it's unbearable especially since I can't defrost the outside AND inside of the windshield.
The symptoms are:
-Turning up the fan control just blows colder air faster.
-The engine temperature gauge doesn't show the engine overheating. The needle still goes to the same place (half way up).
-The engine coolant is full.
-There's no leaking of coolant in or under the car.

Those facts seem to point to a broken blend door or actuator.
:dunno:
I found this possible solution... http://www.heatertreater.net/Ford%20Taurus%2096-07.htm
For $120, my problem could be solved but their suggestion of using a Dremel tool to cut thru the plastic to get to the heater core to replace the blend door seems a bit extreme if that's not the problem.
Here's what they say about the problem and their solution..
http://www.heatertreater.net/Final%20Tech%20info.htm
I asked Advance Auto Parts of a solution, they said they have the blend door fix for $50 and had to order it.
AutoZone said they don't have a blend door fix unless it's just a broken actuator and then it's just $20.

I'm hoping for a warmer and dry clear day to pull out the glovebox and get a better idea of what the problem is.
[/b][/quote]

No parts stores I checked could get it... Dealer only, about $89

I got mine from ebay for about $15

·
Registered
1997 Ford Taurus 3.0L Wagon 226,362 miles
461 Posts
Blend door actuator is dealer only (besides junkyard). I only paid $42 for mine (a couple of years ago now). $89 is a rip. Sounds like list price with a markup to boot. Easy to replace, no special tools, but a bit of a back breaker. I actually lived without the actuator for a couple of years, manually propping the metal rod up/down with a small piece of plastic based on season. Not really a big deal to do.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Blend door actuator is dealer only (besides junkyard). I only paid $42 for mine (a couple of years ago now). $89 is a rip. Easy to replace, no special tools, but a bit of a back breaker...
[/b]

Yes, it was a bit of a ripoff, but every dealer near here was in that pricerange.

I didnt even want to give $50 to be honest for what it was. So I checked ebay.

I know where about 10 of them are now in junkyards, I thought about picking them up and offering them on here or ebay.

If you remove the radio, its not as bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts