Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just acquired a 1997 f150 4.2l with 170g miles.
the check engine light is on so i need to get it read.
the other problem is it idles roughly and when you accelerate from a stop it will sputter then
go fine. when i put it into neutral it idles fine.
the last tune up was done two years ago. i checked the air filter
and it wa dirty so i need to grab one today.

anything else i should look at?

well i got the code read p0340 cam positioning sensor.

how hard is this to replace and will it cause rough idle.

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
I would say yes, a bad cam positioning sensor would cause the engine to idle rough. Mainly, the sensor is used to precisely time the fuel/spark delivery properly. Right now it's running on a safe mode, mainly to get the vehicle to repair, so it runs on what it thinks is sufficient, which apparently right now, is, since it runs. On how? currently I don't know, I could look it up a bit later.

Oh, and I strongly suggest you avoid an AutoZone sensor... Those are designed to die quickly, since they are poorly manufactured. I would recommending coughing up a few bucks for a Genuine Ford part, it'll last longer. Unless you plan on fixing it up and selling.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
QUOTE (TaurusKev @ May 24 2009, 12:12 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=727591
I would say yes, a bad cam positioning sensor would cause the engine to idle rough. Mainly, the sensor is used to precisely time the fuel/spark delivery properly. Right now it's running on a safe mode, mainly to get the vehicle to repair, so it runs on what it thinks is sufficient, which apparently right now, is, since it runs. On how? currently I don't know, I could look it up a bit later.

Oh, and I strongly suggest you avoid an AutoZone sensor... Those are designed to die quickly, since they are poorly manufactured. I would recommending coughing up a few bucks for a Genuine Ford part, it'll last longer. Unless you plan on fixing it up and selling.[/b]
thanks taurus,
i've decided to go with the az one only because it's 33 vs 99 from ford. i figure
i won't have the truck long enough to warrant the ford one but, this maybe wrong but
i will see.

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
even though it was throwing the code for the cam shaft.
if i recall correctly use throttle valve cleaner.
thanks

·
Premium Member
4,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have begun to work on the truck.

i grabbed the sensor from az for 35 bucks vs. the ford for 117 and napa 75.

i found the cam sensor but the location is really tight. i also found
some repair steps online and all are the same to az. i'm just confused on how to do it.
here is az steps:

1. Disconnect the negative battery cable.

2. Drain and recycle the engine coolant.

3. Remove the air cleaner assembly.

4. Detach the electrical connector from the heater water outlet tube.

5. Remove the retaining bolt and position the heater water outlet tube aside.

6. Detach the electrical connector for the CMP sensor.

7. Remove the CMP sensor retaining bolts and remove the CMP sensor from the engine.

any input would be appreciated.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts