Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car originally would not start when hot or stumble when started (low fluctuating idle) I replaced the IAC and cleaned the MAF and TB, using the appropriate cleaner. Car ran fine until fully warm then would not start. I then connected a pressure gauge to the rail the gauge was not fully tightened onto the line so I lost all the pressure that was there. Now the car will not start at all. Fixed the guage and reinstalled on the rail, 0 psi reading. Turn the key to on, I can hear the pump (about 2 sec worth), but the pressure does not change even after repeated key off / key on sequences.
Removed the input fuel line to the fuel filter, had wife turn key to on, fuel pumped out of the line for the 2 sec. Replaced filter while there. Removed fuel return line at the pressure regulator to see if it was just wide open and returning any fuel to the tank, turned key to on and nothing came out of the return line. I back probed the voltage at the inertia switch, voltage was 12V.
Any ideas on what to check next, I am guessing from other threads on this subject that it is a fuel pump issue, but would like to do more troubleshooting before I drop the cash on a new fuel pump assembly.
Should the pump stay on longer, especially after replacing the filter?

·
Super Moderator
8,586 Posts
I have seen a few cases on Fords (but none personally on a Taurus) where the line in the tank from the pump to its mounting flange either splits of comes loose. Yo uwill get some "free" flow thru the lines, but virtually no flow under pressure as it all leaks out beck into the tank.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff

I was thinking that it was probably something internal to the fuel pump assembly not allowing pressure to build. I plan on placing a pressure gage on the output of the fuel filter to see if any pressure can be built up.
I also plan on removing the input fuel line at the rail to check if fuel is getting there.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts