Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had my 96 GL for about 3 years. A week after I got it the ce light came on and I never bother to look into it until recently. All the codes that are logged in it are tranny codes. PO 764 (shift solenoid C intermittent), P1724 (wrong gear ratio 4th gear) ---(how does that even happen?!?!?) and another that is (torque converter lock fail).

She drives GREAT. The only problem I've ever had was about 2 winters ago, when it was REALLY cold out, and I shifted from P to D, it would stick in N and then SLAMMMM into D sounding like you dropped a huge rock on the motor. That happened maybe 5 times and has not happened since. I just had the trans serviced and there was A LOT of shaving in there. So much that the magnet in the pan couldn't hardly attract any more...

My intentions are to keep this car for a long time being that I bought it for $500 @ 99K mi currently at 133K. I take great care of it, pretty much changing everything as regularly as needed and Im getting 18-22 mpg consistently. I figure that since I got her for so cheap, even paying for the trans to get fixed, in the long run would be a much better financial decision than just buying a new car.

My question I guess is how serious are those codes and how involved is the work? What should I expect as far as $$$ for fixing the trans? Should I worry about a catastrophic failure while I'm driving around town? cause if not, I probably won't worry about it for awhile...

·
Premium Member
2003 Ford taurus Centennial Edition
1,410 Posts
Does it shift OK into 4th gear? I had the broken retaning clip on my AX4N..and it threw the 764 code that you have. The clip is not too hard of a fix.(just drop subframe and open side cover) ..if that is what you have,you can do a search for the fix for that, it might even be here under the topic finder.
Any Ford garage knows of this fix too... the replacement clip is heavier duty. Ford part number is...F8DZ-7F194-AA. The part is no longer made, but a lot of dealers have some in stock, I found mine at a dealer in Wisconsin. There are aftermarket ones too, but the Ford one is heavier duty.
Hope this helps

1 - 3 of 3 Posts