Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, new to forum, found some good information on here as a guest!

I'm inheriting a 1996 Taurus, vulcan engine, with what I believe to be a AX4N transmission. One of the cooler lines from the transmission to the radiator is leaking. The car is currently sitting in a gravel floor shed and has been sitting for several years now. The lines has rusted through.

I stuck my phone under the car since I've not been able to get under it yet, and the pictures captured "AX4N Metric" on the pan. Is this then the AX4N and not the AX4S?

Second, the lines. I searched around the internet and found some on the autozone website. The ones that say are for a non-auxiliary cooler transmission also say they are for the AX4S. The one they list for the AX4N (the only one), says it's for an auxiliary cooler...

Any ideas on what I need to get this fixed? I got the car running, but I don't want to try to drive it to my shop (8 miles) without fixing this yet.

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
7,793 Posts
Cut out the rusted part, and replace with tranny cooler line and hose clamps. Can also completely replace all the metal cooling lines with hose by replacing the fittings in the radiator and tranny with barb fittings from the hardware store.

If it says A4XN, that is what it is. The A4XS pan would likely say AXOD METRIC on it. Can also verify by counting the number of pan bolts. N has 19, X has 17.

·
Registered
22,524 Posts
^+1 on tranny hose/barbs/clamps. Have you checked Rockauto online? You can also check the drivers door end sticker under "TR". X= AX4N. L= AX4S.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Off hand, does anyone know what size hose barbs are needed? I can take one off, but if someone knows off hand, that would be quicker!

Thanks!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts