Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
a few weeks ago i parked my car.it was running just fine.2 days later when i shifted into gear it would not roll on its own.the fluid level is fine and the color is a nice red.there were no signs of slipping before.this is a 96 gl with auto transmission.was told that possibly the catalytic converter might have plugged up causing a vacuum lock.any help would be great.
stranded 1500 miles from home

·
Registered
1,584 Posts
Who told you that garbage?

Could be something as simple as a wet connector on the tranny. The 96 tranny has electrically controlled shifting. Try disconnecting and blowing out all the electrical connectors on the tranny then spraying with a moisture displacing, electrical contact cleaner.

Check the cable that connects the transmission shift lever inside of the car to the top of the tranny housing to see if it is loose and has slipped (located at the black plastic electrical box on the top of the tranny housing). You can ask someone to slowly shift the transmission lever from gear to gear while you watch under the hood to see if the cable and lever are moving each time the shift lever is moved.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts