Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just after successful removal of replacing my steering column, my rear brake line went out in my Taurus. It is the line that meets the connector (between the two doors on the drivers side) and runs back above the gas tank into some sort of block. It looks tricky but it is leaking bad and needs replaced. Hopefully someone could provide some input on how to replace THIS PARTICULAR LINE and the tools I might need. I sure hope I can maneuver around the gas tank without having to drop it. Think I can do this myself? I successfully replaced the column yesterday (broken ignition actuator rod - plastic junk). ;)

What type of flange-ing tools? (I think it maybe ISO and Double). Please inform me if I am wrong.

·
Registered
5,820 Posts
You could flare it which may or may not work.

We (SHO Source) may have some good rust free hard lines. Just send us an email.

SHONut is going to be making them for the 89-95 Taurus and may be able to make them for the Gen3. You can contact them for more information.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
There are actually 2 lines running to your back brakes, if one is leaking, the other one soon will be. They are clear of the fuel tank, you should be fine there. When I did mine, I bought a 40' bulk roll of 3/16" steel line, reused all of the factory brass fittings, used an Imperial Eastman 2 handled bender (#367-FH) and a 45 degree single flare tool. (If you've never bent tube before you may need a little practice first.) I took the lines out in one piece as much as possible, laid them on the garage floor and replicated brand new ones to match. I cut the lines at the fittings, then backed out and reused the fittings. Two brand new brake lines front to back for ~$29 (not including tools owned).

My bender. Works awesome, tight bends, never kinks. Does 1/8", 3/16" & 1/4 ". My larger one does 5/16" & 3/8".

1 - 4 of 4 Posts