Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a 1996 Taurus for only $100 because the guy was sick of it and wanted it gone. He had a head gasket fail so he took the heads in had them checked out and also rebuilt. He also put in a new heater core and radiator. It drove for about 10k miles than the coolant started overflowing out of the reservoir. He claims that he also used new head bolts. I diagnosed for a bit. It runs for about 3-5 minutes and then starts to rise out the tank. The coolant really does not get all that hot. I see no movement whatsoever as far as flow or bubbles in the tank. It looks like still water then just raise up and over. Not one bubble. I did a compression check and every cylinder was basically 125lbs. The car has 129k on it for miles. I started tearing down to replace head gaskets. I took the upper plenum off and noticed the intake gasket seems to leak coolant pretty good. Also it is funny to me that I see no water movement at all in the tank. I wish I would have thought about it more instead of starting to tear it all apart but could the water pump fins be broke and maybe causing it to rise out? Or do I have to bite the bullet and replace head gaskets. Again head gaskets were replaced 10k ago with rebuilt heads.

·
Exalted Grand Poobah
4,750 Posts
Replace the water pump (radiator cap too, if so equipped) and bring the engine up to operating temp. If the problem isn't fixed, redo the head gaskets and make sure the plenum gasket was done right as well. After that, you're looking at a crack in the block somewhere if the problem isn't solved.

Just my 2¢ worth.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I bought a 1996 Taurus for only $100 because the guy was sick of it and wanted it gone. He had a head gasket fail so he took the heads in had them checked out and also rebuilt. He also put in a new heater core and radiator. It drove for about 10k miles than the coolant started overflowing out of the reservoir. He claims that he also used new head bolts. I diagnosed for a bit. It runs for about 3-5 minutes and then starts to rise out the tank. The coolant really does not get all that hot. I see no movement whatsoever as far as flow or bubbles in the tank. It looks like still water then just raise up and over. Not one bubble. I did a compression check and every cylinder was basically 125lbs. The car has 129k on it for miles. I started tearing down to replace head gaskets. I took the upper plenum off and noticed the intake gasket seems to leak coolant pretty good. Also it is funny to me that I see no water movement at all in the tank. I wish I would have thought about it more instead of starting to tear it all apart but could the water pump fins be broke and maybe causing it to rise out? Or do I have to bite the bullet and replace head gaskets. Again head gaskets were replaced 10k ago with rebuilt heads.

I would do a leak down test on all the cylinders just to make sure you
don't have any cracked head leaks.

If you cooling system is NOT holding pressure, it can puke from that.
Pull the water pump first and check it out. replace as needed. Pull the
degass tank and clean it out, change it if its cracked at the bottom.
replace the degass tank cap. Get the car up to temp and turn off.
listen closely for any hissing sounds and try to track them down.
There are LOTS of places for a cooling system leak. I personally have
had cracked radiator side tanks, cracked degass tank, leaking heater core
bypass hoses, and more.

some head gaskets are polarized to go only on one side and one position.
I hope your guy when he did it was paying attention. and used new
head bolts.

·
Registered
33 Posts
The first suspect for overheating/overflowing cooling system is the thermostat. They do fail quite often and usually end up blowing a head gasket if not caught quickly.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
About this Discussion
4 Replies
5 Participants
maximus7001
Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum
A forum community dedicated to the Ford Taurus and SHO models, Mercury Sable and Lincoln MKS. Join the discussions on EcoBoost, aftermarket performance, and more!
Full Forum Listing