Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

Hoping to do some minor body work when it warms up. I can't find any listings for my cars color, Rose Mist Metallic. Even the code on the plate points to some other red metallic color. I haven't found a FOMOCO paint code called out as Rose Mist, but that's my cars color. Does ANYBODY have a lead on where to get this color, or am I looking at custom mixed from a chip as my only recourse?

Thanks! -Dan[attachment=28841:7_9_07_023b.jpg]

·
Registered
54 Posts
Hello,

If you bring the car to any quality automotive dedicated paint seller (their main business is supplying the automotive body shop industry) they will read the codes on the vehicle under hood tag and get the correct color. Rose Mist on the SHO is very similar to the "Mystic" color on the Cobra from the same year. There are a few others on this site with Rose Mist cars who may also be able to help you out. Expect to pay more than the price for regular "metallic" paint. Good Luck.

·
Premium Member
1,930 Posts
QUOTE (SJP @ Mar 15 2009, 05:29 PM) index.php?act=findpost&pid=708895
Rose Mist on the SHO is very similar to the "Mystic" color on the Cobra from the same year.[/b]
The Mystic Mustangs were each a slightly different color. Last I heard you had to get a Ford rep to come verify you indeed had an original Mystic SVT and then they'd take pictures and put the paperwork through, getting your expensive paint some months later.

That being said, this purple is closer to the Emerald Green on the Gen2s, Going between Purple and Silver as the Emerald goes from Blue to Green.

·
Devoted Member
2,426 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. My Rose Mist shifts from a purplish lilac color to a blueish gray gunmetal color. I cringe at what it probably costs! And, to SJP, I wish it was a Rose Mist SHO, but she's only a loaded GL!

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
You really need to go the custom chip route, IMO.

When I had some paint work done on my Rosemist SHO a couple years back I paid right around $100.00 per quart for the paint, and it was a dead on match.

HOWEVER, the paint needs to be applied in a similar angle to the way the car was originally painted or the panels WON'T 'flop' the same - i.e. the original panels will shift from purple to gray right about the time the repainted panel will shift just the opposite. My body guy finally got it perfect on the third try, until then the bumper was 'out of phase' with the hood and it looked terrible.

He had the front bumper off the car laying down on some side horses with the license plate facing skyward. We finally found out that he had to apply the paint to the bumper with the bumper held up overhead, spraying UP from the bottom. Same can of paint, 3 different results.

If you are repainting the whole car at once this won't be a concern unless you take off all the panels before painting.

·
Premium Member
7,303 Posts
Seriously, this is an interesting fact!!
I never thought of something like that!! :eek:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts