Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went with a friend of mine to a used car dealer...

one thing that got my attention was an 1996 Ols Aurora....
Good inside & out... clean engine etc etc.. 100 K on the clock..

The guy said he has put in new plugs.... new wires... new fuel & air filter.. new pads (front & back)... and new timing belt (not sure if it has belt or chain)

its got any awesome 4.0, 32v DHOC V8.. and he claims good mpg...

it has a lot of bells & whisles.. traction control, abs, load levelling, trip computer, sun roof etc..

Finally the price he's askin is $5800 with 6 mo or 60, 000 mi warrenty.

ANY opinios from you folks..

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
brakes are a pain to do.....any repair almost always has to be done through dealer. But the car has alot of toys.

Gas milage is good for a v8, but the car does not feel like it is a v8. My duratec has the same pickup that does.

Brad

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
What kind of warranty? If that is the Northstar V-8, avoid it. The early models had horrible oil leaking problems around the intakes.

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by Majisto@Apr 4 2004, 12:48 PM
What kind of warranty?  If that is the Northstar V-8, avoid it.  The early models had horrible oil leaking problems around the intakes.
It's not a Northstar, but IIRC a friend of mine had one (an Aurora) and he claimed there was some kind of engine problems that were common - I don't think it was anything huge, just something to look out for basically. If it was anything really major I would have remembered. I'll see if I can find anything out. Other than that they are pretty nice cars. Oldsmobile is one of the few GM brands that I can tolerate

J

·
0 Posts
Originally posted by the_spy_guy@Apr 4 2004, 12:22 PM
but the car does not feel like it is a v8. My duratec has the same pickup that does.
Yeah, after riding in one I wasn't all that impressed with it being a V8.

·
Registered
76 Posts
My friend had one, it had a crazy oil/gas leak situation we were riding in it for 5 months w/o knowing so umm, it was a moltov cocktail to me so umm be cautious.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Oldsmobiles are tough. We had a Cutlass (Gutless to us) that ran forever. Of course, in typical Olds fashion, their engines are weak, weak, weak. Friend has a Chevy Caprice with an Olds 307 V-8. That engine couldn't catch a cold. It runs a 0-60 in maybe 13 seconds...it's very weak.

Me and GM never got along too well. You couldn't pay me to own another GM product of the 90's. If you did, I hope you paid me enough to fix all the cooling system nightmares they put me through. If you want a quick comfy car, go get a Chrysler LH series (Concorde/LHS/300M). They are pimped out.

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok thx. I guess I wasn't in favour of Olds... you guys confirmed it..
anyways my collegue want's Japanese car... camry or corrola or honda...
cause he is here (in US) for a 1 yr or so and will need to sell it when he has to go back to India.... and they have higher resale value..

·
Registered
183 Posts
I love Olds, My mom has a 02 Alero and its quick as ****. Has the 3.4L V6 SFI engine. If I remember right its the same engine in the Grand Am GT.

But the Alero is lighter

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I HAT alero's sorry.. I rented one off avis, almost brand new, about 6 mo back.. for a 600 mile trip... boy it was not at all comfy... ..

I am comparing it to my Gen 3 96 Taurii GL....

·
Registered
42 Posts
I can vouch for the Corolla, since I essentially drive one. I've technically got a Chevy Prizm, but everything is the same between the two cars except for the badging. Resale value is pretty high, and you can pick a newer one up for pretty cheap (I got a '99 in the summer of '02 for about $7k). The engine and drivetrain are pretty rock solid, no major issues with them so far (save for a clutch, but that goes every once in a while anyway). It has enough pickup to keep you happy too. I can't remember the exact numbers, but it's something like 120 HP, and couple that to a light car (only about 2000 lbs), you can zip around. It's no Mustang, but it's reliable and gets you from point A to point B while hitting 30-40 MPG (city/highway). Resale values aren't bad either, I can sell mine now for about $5,000, so go figure. Make sure you get the manual transmission too- I hear the auto feels really underpowered.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts