Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going thru a 1996 Taurus LX Wagon just recently purchased. Have the UIM off and am in the midst of changing the valve cover gaskets, plugs and wires.

I cannot remove the rear valve cover with enough room to replace the gasket. There is a wiring harness inside a shield which is held on by the passenger side valve cover bolts, 4 of them. the front are easy, and I've gotten the small nuts that held the shield on from all four. The problem is: this wiring harness with shield does not want to move out of the way so I can remove the valve cover bolts it was attached to. There is enough room to do the front valve cover, no issues, but the rear, not so much. There are coolant hoses hard on the side and bottom of the shield, wiring does not allow much movement up. I've removed the top part of the wiring harness shield in front but cannot get at the clips to remove the rear.

I've checked everywhere and apparently, I'm the only guy that ever had a issue with this wiring harness shield, with wires. I must be missing something easy but I'm tired of pushing and pulling on parts trying to find a way to move that piece away from the valve cover.

If you've got any experience with this, O Please Illuminate.

Non-essential info: bought the LX wagon non-running from a couple who had it stall and decided selling it uber cheap was still better than paying the dealer to fix it. So far I"ve found with cracks and pieces missing everywhere, and have already made a replacement for the unobtainable vacuum elbow fitting which connects three vacuum lines to the underside of the intake manifold.

I am a retired guy sort of, and on a pretty strict budget, so I will make a part if it looks fairly doable rather than run to the dealer. I am constructing hoses for both valve cover breathers and probably will end up replacing some vacuum lines as well. After playing around under the hood of the LX, I get real nostalgic for my 1974 F150 where you could sit in the engine bay, reach whatever you needed to, and parts/tools that dropped fell all the way to the ground :)

Thanks in advance,

Brad in Eugene

·
Registered
797 Posts
Good choice on selecting a wagon!
Can you post a picture around this wiring harness shield.

Do you have to remove the rear valve cover.?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, I think this wagon is going to be just the ticket and the price was right.

I'll post a picture tomorrow. I could remove the back two bolts with a open end wrench but I still fear that the lack of room is going to make it hard to put the cover back on with the gasket just sitting in place. Don't want to pinch any of it.

Two of the three front spark plug tubes had oil in them. I haven't looked into the back three yet, but it would seem prudent to change out the gasket now while everything is apart. I'm doing a major service with the idea that if I get everything right now, I won't have to revisit this area for quite some time.

Wagon has 120K on it, and if the sellers are to be believed (and I do) it exhibits no serious issues. The hoses sure were in tough shape though and that rubber vacuum elbow fitting was held together with electrical tape, not exactly air tight fix you'd expect! I'll post a pic of the fix, all done with parts in the garage already.

Thanks, and I'd appreciate a follow up once you've seen the situation.

Brad

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm very new here. Do I have to put these photos up on a webpage somewhere in order to show them here?

I have a couple of photos of the wiring harness in shield that runs over the top of the very farthest passenger side of both valve covers. I can move the shield on the front cover but the back is hard against coolant hoses, with not enough extra wiring lengths to move it very much at all. If I can't get some ideas here I guess I'll just take the two bolts under the shield off with an open end wrench and see if I can remove cover and put the gasket in place, replace cover without moving the gasket. That is a Thursday project....Brad

·
Has It Been That Long?
12,004 Posts
Upload them to a photo site such as Flickr or Photobucket, then copy the links.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hello. I just registered, this is new to me writing on a forum but i have read off this TCCA for a while and its great.
How did it go with the removal of the valve cover? I found this topic looking assistance with the installation since the gas lines to the inyectors make it difficult to work. I guess I will just put it back sidewways then rotate it in place. I hope this does not move the new gasket out of place.
I have a 96 Taurus LX running strong. Writing from Panama. Saludos.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hello again,

Thank you all for your input. It's been a while now and I've been all the way thru the top end of the engine. Cleaned out intake system up to and including the valves themselves. Given everything I've found its clear this engine has been running poorly for quite to some time. Since I've never heard it actually run, it's kind of like putting a jigsaw puzzle together in the dark. My current efforts are towards pulling the Y pipe and checking for gas flow thru the cat converters. Three of four O2 sensors are out and covered in carbon deposits. To date, everything I've done has resulted in it sputtering a little more aggressively but still no signs of an actual start. I'm hoping the cat converters are plugged as it would account for everything I've heard so far and makes sense since it's been running both rich and lean at times (according to the seven check engine codes seen when I bought it.

I've been put off the project as I've had to put a new alternator in my brother's car and try and figure out what is causing another 1996 Taurus (my sister-in-law's car) not to receive f12 volts to the starter solenoid.

I look forward to driving this car soon :)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts