Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
P0302 p0171p0174 I've replaced egr pcv spark plug wires spark plugs fuel filter air filter water great oil looks good checked for vacuum leaks I've spent over "1,000to get it registered n the cost of car plus parts ......what am I missing these codes still pop up scanner do I go deeper with this car or just wash.my hands of it

·
Registered
218 Posts
Having both PO171/174 codes is a classic symptom of upper/lower intake manifold gasket vacuum leakage on Fords. I've personally experienced it on my '98 Explorer SOHC and '04 Sable DOHC. I assume the '96 DOHC is a similar configuration. Gaskets get hard after all these years and don't seal adequately; although it generally presents itself in colder weather and with a poorer idle.

·
Registered
10,676 Posts
Having both PO171/174 codes is a classic symptom of upper/lower intake manifold gasket vacuum leakage on Fords. I've personally experienced it on my '98 Explorer SOHC and '04 Sable DOHC. I assume the '96 DOHC is a similar configuration. Gaskets get hard after all these years and don't seal adequately; although it generally presents itself in colder weather and with a poorer idle.
I have/had 10 Bulls, and 5 Lin Cont. Never replaced an intake gasket. Had several upper intaks off and reused the gasket with no issues. Last one few weeks back, '05 DOHC. Much more common hoses and elbows. Easier to fix.
-chart-

1 - 4 of 4 Posts