Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited by Moderator)
I just wanted to post my findings just in case someone else may have struggled with these weird combo OBDII Readings.

At first I focused on the P0171, Bank 1 ( of course the harder of the two locations ), thinking there was a vacuum leak somewhere. Used ether, no luck. Used Smoker, No luck. Checked Bank 1 Exhaust Manifold, Nada. Hmmmmmm ???

Then I turned my attention to the Mis-fire Code P0302, Bank 1 Cylinder 2. Idled the car, went old school and pulled each plug one by one. Each time engine struggled even more than before but no response on #2. Pulled wire and it OHMed out at 5.6K Ohms ( Within Tolerances ). Used my inline Spark Tester, a very weak light flashed. BINGO.

Ignition Coil Pack at #2, was DEAD.

Swapped with a Standard Motors, 3 year Warranted ICP at Clarks Discount Autoparts, $37.00 ( Dealer and Even FLAPS were $80-120, wtd ) and 1.5 hours later, We Have Ignition on all 6 cylinders!, Cleared Code, monitored short and long term fuel trim. All GOOD, Bull is Happy Again :cool:

For those that do not have an inline tester, you can use, your spark plug wire, a spare spark plug, some wire and ground to engine on a magnetic metal surface. Have helper start for a brief moment, you should see a healthy spark at electrode of plug, if not, coil will most likely be bad at that test connection. Be safe, check to make sure there is no open ignition sources like gas or fuel of any kind.

·
Super Moderator
7,957 Posts
Missfire will put extra oxygen in the exhaust stream since the oxygen isnt burned with the fuel. The O2 sensor reads this extra oxygen as lean air/fuel ratio and sets a lean code. Common to see a lean code when a bad missfire is present.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh Wow, thank you for creating my own Stand Alone "Solved" Post. Very cool. I was going to create it but did not want to inadvertently repeat an existing post.

Lucky we caught this early, the cat was getting super hot due to the lean condition.

Dad reported smooth running all the way back to his home and a happy bull this morning.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts