Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a triple play. Rebuilt Heads, plenty of compression. New Wires / New Plugs / New coil pack. Plenty of spark. Injectors fine. Inspected wiring from ECC to each injector / Fine , no shorts, etc. CEL Blinks and throws a PO 306. (Cyl. 6 Misfire) This occurs in gear. When this happens, A/C blows warm. In Neutral or park when 1st started. No CEL. A/C Fine. This only happens when cruising around. Ford has made 6 upgrades to the programming of the ECU since the original. The original is a F6DF-12A650-BE / This is an ML2-303 Flash calibration Unit. The current updated ECU is F6PZ-12A650-CVE. Realize this ECU's are the same, only the programming is upgraded. i just wonder if some of these issues were addressed in the new programming. By the way, The EGR is fine, there are no vacuum leaks etc. Plug 6 is not fowled and their is no coolant leaking into the cylinder. I wish it was that easy. I would appreciate hearing any ideas and similar experiences and possible solutions.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thought I'd update this post. The latest, I'm about to change the engine computer. Went thru every conceivable option first. Updating with the latest ECM software etc. in the morning. I hope it works!

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I'm not sure how changing the PCM or flash will change the misfire results. Can you confirm that there's inadequate RPM drop when cyl 6 is disabled? That's what I would focus on. Just because the heads were rebuilt doesn't mean they didn't miss a crack, or put a bad valve spring in.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The replacement ECM eliminated the PO 306 but showed a transmission problem. Therefore the updated software in the ECM was no help. The PO 306 is from the signal not reaching the fuel injector for cyl. 6. Even when direct wired from the ECM. Injector for Number 6 is not getting the signal. The replacement ECM sends the signal to #6 but unfortunately causes a different problem.

·
Premium Member
1,283 Posts
I've had computers with bad injector drivers before. It doesn't cause your transmission problem. The transmission problem likely existed before, but as long as you have a misfire/pending misfire, the transmission diagnostics are put on hold.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I am discounting the transmission code with the new computer. the Transmission runs fine. I found an ECM with the original numbers today. I'll be installing it Monday and we will hope for the best. The car must be re smogged by 12/10 and will not pass with the CEL on.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
And now...the CONCLUSION.
After finding the right computer, the car got ready for smog and passed. No more Misfire and A/C is fine. Replaced sway bar links as well and am enjoying the road again!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts