Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had the water pump replaced on my 95 3.8L GL. No problem there, but my mechanic says there's a 'line'(not a hose) that runs from the pump, to the radiator. He said it does not look healthy, but can't find a replacement, not even through a Ford dealer. A - does anybody know what part it is, and what it's called, and B, know how to get one? Any information would be greatly appreciated. This 'line' is not currently leaking, but it looks like it could, at any time...

·
Super Moderator
8,623 Posts
My guess is "line" and "hose" mean the same thing in this case.

Make a new line using bulk hose from the auto parts store and if necessary barb fittings, 90 degree fittings, etc from the local hardware store.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My guess is "line" and "hose" mean the same thing in this case.

Make a new line using bulk hose from the auto parts store and if necessary barb fittings, 90 degree fittings, etc from the local hardware store.
Thanks for the reply, Jeff, and that may very well be the answer. However, shortly after posting here a couple days ago, I bent down near the front of the right front tire, and I accidentally saw what I think is the suspect line. It's a metal(plastic?) line slightly less than a half inch in diameter, and it runs nearly on top of the frame rail. And I can clearly see where it's kind of 'split', on top. Wish I could see the whole line, but it's impossible to see that without it being jacked way up, or on a lift. Have any ideas on finding a way too see what it's actually called? That way, I might be able to search the web, and find it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Reached the character limit in the last post. Any way, if you can lead me to a source for the part, new, or used, I will compensate you in some way.

·
Registered
34 Posts
It is probably a similar situation to the lower water pipe/line that is on the 96-00 duratec engines. The rubber seems OK, but the metal part corrodes and leaks. Substituting it with a non OE part is something that has to be analyzed/designed a bit, but is doable. Some people do replace it with a generic flexible radiator hose, zip tied into position.
Jeff K's advice on assembling one from hoses and fittings is also a good idea.

I found the following on the forum, I think it is in regards to the line you are looking for:

Ford has some strange o-ring seal setup for that pipe. Seems a pipe from a 3.8 windstar might work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It is probably a similar situation to the lower water pipe/line that is on the 96-00 duratec engines. The rubber seems OK, but the metal part corrodes and leaks. Substituting it with a non OE part is something that has to be analyzed/designed a bit, but is doable. Some people do replace it with a generic flexible radiator hose, zip tied into position.
Jeff K's advice on assembling one from hoses and fittings is also a good idea.

I found the following on the forum, I think it is in regards to the line you are looking for:

Ford has some strange o-ring seal setup for that pipe. Seems a pipe from a 3.8 windstar might work.
Thanks Bison, I appreciate your input. Now, I think I know what the part is actually called, and I will search for it. I got the part name in the Windstar thread, did a Google search on the part name, saw a list of parts that don't look correct, but will keep looking. Thanks again. And maybe my mechanic can find a solution of some sort, in case I can't find the part online. Thanks again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts