Taurus Car Club of America : Ford Taurus Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Aunt, in NC, has a 1995 Taurus and my father wants to replace the alternator for her. He thinks it has the Vulcan. Does anyone have any clear instructions I can send him to help him with this. He does not want to do it if it is a difficult repair (he is 68, and it is expected to be 108 today). I can't seem to find anything that might help him? Any ideas?

Astra

·
Registered
10,953 Posts
Old Folks

My Aunt, in NC, has a 1995 Taurus and my father wants to replace the alternator for her. He thinks it has the Vulcan. Does anyone have any clear instructions I can send him to help him with this. He does not want to do it if it is a difficult repair (he is 68, and it is expected to be 108 today). I can't seem to find anything that might help him? Any ideas?

Astra
I am 71 and rotated tires in my drive already this am. Was 103 yesterday so I did it early this am.

The choice of engines in '95 is Vulcan 3.0 and Essex 3.8. Alt should not be bad in either. Important to remove the GOUND cable on the bat. Alt is right on top for both engines. Really need to do the belt at the same time. You have to take it off, kill 2 birds .... The 3.8 engine says so right on the top. Pic attached. Else it is a Vulcan. (assumes it not a SHO)

-chart-

·
Registered
93 Posts
it's fairly simple to do.. remove the negative battery cable, on my 92 3.8L I remove the washer resovoir (one piece), remove the serpentine belt, actually loosen it off and move it aside, the alternator is right there staring at you. 2 bolts mount it in, remove the
voltage regulator plug and the nut holding the output wire and it pops right out.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Middle of winter I pulled the alt. of a vulcan wagon in like 15 minutes, and that was with a break from the cold, its a piece of cake! Like ericf said for his 3.8, its pretty much the same.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts